Author Topic: (eventually) help to ship from US to EU  (Read 2519 times)

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
(eventually) help to ship from US to EU
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:08:17 AM »
I'm intersted in this: http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110459361995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and this: http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110461083653&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT in case the guy's won't ship oversea would any of the US members here give me a hand? I guess the P.U. wouldn't be a problem. Have anybody got an idea of what shipping the bass to Italy would cost? I know USPS have some new restrictions regarding the size of package....  :-\

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: (eventually) help to ship from US to EU
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:15:17 AM »
I recently shipped a large bass (RIC 4003) and it cost me $111 US to send it to Texas from New York via the postal service.  I would expect it would be at least that much overseas.  Forget UPS and FedEx, they have gone nuts on overseas shipping.  I've given up on them.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »
I just checked the USPS website and it seems the length limit has been raised back up to 60". During the gas price runup a while back they lowered it to 46". If USPS will ship your package overseas, it's the best choice (IMO). Priority (6-10 days) to Italy for a 28 pound package looks to be around $110 not including insurance. Not bad at all...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
I just shipped Jules's Guild to the UK for $102.00 USPS priority, The next step up was 210.00  :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »
I don't remember the exact cost anymore, but I think I shipped Uwe's Silverburst Epi Bird for $112. I had to cut and reshape the box to get it to meet the shipping size limits.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »
I'm down here in South America, so I can't help. But I have a question: you guys in the US and EU don't have to pay any taxes or fees or whatever when you receive something coming from overseas?

Because here in Brazil, anything that's declare over US$50,00, including shipping costs, we have to pay 60% of the declare value and shipping cost, and plus some other taxes.
Meaning, even if somebody in US or EU wants to send me a guitar or bass as a gift, I still have to pay 60% of the declare value to receive it, otherwise I can't have it and it gets put up to auction.

They don't really follow the rules exactaly, so little things like guitar parts may or may not pass through customs free of tax. So it's always a gamble to buy things off e-bay.
I have bought pickups and other parts before and didn't have to pay anything, but then in other ocasion I bought a couple of sets of flatwound strings and had to pay the 60% thing.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:33:53 PM »
Daniel, in the US that depends on where it's imported from. A stringed instrument is duty free from a lot of countries, very little duty from others, depending on trade agreements, but can be 40% for the few countries that we don't have normal trade relations with.

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:09 AM »
That sound really weird Daniel, in EU you don't pay taxes from oversea if you buy from a private seller, in case you buy new stuff from a store, you got the V.A.T. to pay, which is different from country to country, but never more than 25% in the worst case.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 04:18:35 AM »
In Greece there's a 25% tax for things over 100 euros for countries outside EU, but some people have receive things that are over 100 euros and they didn't have to pay. You can't be sure, that's for sure.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 07:18:13 AM »
I can't remember the last time I paid duty on anything from across either pond.  It's better here for imports.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Hornisse

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »
When I bought a Duck Dunn Fender P bass from Canada several years back I had to pay UPS $60 on the $450 purchase.  With USPS they don't collect fees on items from Canada. 

BTW, that Grabber bass is mine.  The case is too large to ship overseas but I have and can ship the neck and body separately.  I am a bit wary of shipping to Italy as I've heard stories of packages just disappearing.   Also, USPS has changed a lot of max values on insurance limits.  For instance, you can only insure for $500 maximum value anything you ship to Germany.

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
Well, you hear a lot of bad things about Italy, many of them are tales. It's also right that there's a huge difference between north and south Italy. I've been living most of my life here and i can garanty the north works as it has to, that said i'd better change argoment before someone get's offended  ;D
I'd had several basses shipped here from the States with no problems at all, it's USPS doing the most travelling oversea. If you don't get any offer i'd be glad to buy it..sigh..without a case  :sad: , if we can agree a resonable price  ;)

Edit: in case it makes any difference you could ship it to Denmark but i guess there'll be tha same size issues
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:22:37 PM by Iome »

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
Yup, north Italy is a competely different thing than south Italy.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Hornisse

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 07:35:58 PM »
I don't mind shipping it to you but the non original case will never make the USPS guidelines.  I did ship a P bass to Italy around 7 years ago using FedEx and it was nearly $400 for shipping which I'm sure you don't want to pay.  FedEx also billed me almost $100 for customs fees but the buyer paid it thankfully.