Author Topic: The Hair Metal Thread...  (Read 1331 times)

PWV

• View Profile
The Hair Metal Thread...
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
I almost put this in the Stoner Rock thread, but it just didn't seem right.    This was that period between Led Zeppelin and Metallica - the "Lost Years" in some ways.  A period when MTV affected all genres and how they approached marketing, etc.    Bands like Motorhead managed to survive this period without compromise (who else did?  There's gotta be a handful..)  Apologies in advance if this topic ignites a wave of nausea and trauma.

Here's one from the Northwest:

Heh...  ::)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:53:45 AM by PWV »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: The Hair Metal Thread...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10:26 AM »
Weren't Rail the first band to win the MTV basement tapes show? Man, thats way back in the old days!

I remember this video now. How could I forget those boots?!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »
Dave,

Thanks for posting that!!!! I know all those guys! Saw them many times when they were a local cover band, and even opened for them. Later I worked with Rick Knotts (Guitarist with the V) at The Art Institute of Seattle, he was the head of the Video Production department and I was an Instructor in the Industrial Design department.  Way Friggin cool!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »
I figured we might have crossed paths at some of those shows Mark...

And Wow - I saw them at EWU the very week of this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76m6XHlPLjo&feature=related

*I remember they had to cut the set short due to a rainstorm*

And this footage was apparently filmed in BETA!!!    Now there's  a blast from the past... beta...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:09:00 PM by PWV »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »
The vid for "Hello" was shot at Juanita High School.....I went there grade 9-10.  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »
Well I didn't mean to imply "nausea and trauma" was pertinent to Rail so much....that was a great band.

But these - these bands - whew, can't believe I lived through this.... *WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!! CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK! *  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqqfA0JD-NM&feature=related

:P