Author Topic: American or Mexican J bass neck?  (Read 1670 times)

kylierider

• View Profile
American or Mexican J bass neck?
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »
I've got a non fender jazz bass body made of ash, loaded with EMG's, with a BA II bridge. This bass has been my main player for a long time. I had an Ibanez Black Eagle Neck on it. I finally found a Black Eagle bass body so now I need a neck for my main player. I want to use an original equiptment jazz neck this time. But which...American or Mexican. What is the main difference between them. The only visible difference I can see from pictures is the American jazz has the star truss rod adjuster at the base of the neck and the Mexican neck has it up by the headstock. I prefer it at the headstock because it seems easier to deal with, but this is not the deciding factor. This place called STRATosphere sells 2008 replacement Fender necks on e-bay, both American and Mexican. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: American or Mexican J bass neck?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »
I know nothing about the seller, but it's hard to argue with over 37,500 sales at 99.9% positive.

Besides the truss rod placement, the American necks have carbon fiber reinforcement and the Mexican necks don't. If you're also asking about tuners, the American necks do have higher grade tuners but the Mexicans are certainly usable.

In recent years, I've noticed that the American necks seem a little thicker front to back than the Mexicans, but that may not be true in 2008.