Author Topic: Missing switch  (Read 2002 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Missing switch
« on: March 07, 2008, 05:44:49 AM »
I know this has been asked a million times in many forums, but is there something I can use as a substitute for the missing baritone button switch in my 66 EB-2?  I have the "box" but no switch.  Any suggestions?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Missing switch
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:34:46 AM »
Just a thought. Leaf through a McMaster Carr supply catalog they might have something.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:02:04 AM »
Near identical replacements are available in every Home Depot or decent hardware store.  Home depot seems to have more where the body of the switch is plastic, but hardware stores have the metal and bakelite jobs still.  At Home Depot, pushbutton on/off switches are usually at the end of the aisle where they keep lamp parts, which is what they were.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »
Bill, Maynard's Electric might have something, I used to deal with them for the Hospital and they had lots of unusual and outdated stuff.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:25:18 AM »
Eb2 is right about the hardware store.  The switch I pulled from my EB2 was made by Leviton (happy Mark?  ;) ).  Looks like a pushbutton lamp switch.

I found this one thru Amazon:

Not sure if dimensions on that switch are correct, as they do not provide them.  The shaft on my switch was 3/8" (despite the fact that the hole it mounts in was 1/2").

The reason mine is pulled out, BTW, is because using the "choke-mod" works a lot better by giving the bass three distinct sounds - the third one being the sound of the pickup without any residual filtering from the choke circuit.  You would especially appreciate that full-range sound with more midrange punch in live/band settings.  You can use a pickup selector toggle for a 3-pickup Les Paul for this mod (with one minor modification - to the switch, not the guitar) to accomplish this.  I can provide details, pics, and schematics if you decide to go the non-original route.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:11:11 AM by chromium »

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »
I can provide details, pics, and schematics if you decide to go the non-original route.

can you post the schematic by any chance?   thanks!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »
I can provide details, pics, and schematics if you decide to go the non-original route.

Will do - I'll post info about the mod in a new thread.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:19:48 AM »

Me too, I'm interested!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »
Oh, I forgot to ask, is the switch we need a simple on-off switch or something more exotic?  Note that I am a wiring novice still!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »
Oh, I forgot to ask, is the switch we need a simple on-off switch or something more exotic?  Note that I am a wiring novice still!

The original is just a simple pushbutton on/off (better known as single pole, single throw - or SPST).

If you do Uwe's bypass operation, the switch you'll use is a three position toggle (dual pole, dual throw - or DPDT) - I'll post all the details on that later on today.  I have sound samples of each setting that I can provide as well.  This info went away with DP2, so reposting it here will probably be helpful.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
The original is just a simple pushbutton on/off (better known as single pole, single throw - or SPST).

If you do Uwe's bypass operation, the switch you'll use is a three position toggle (dual pole, dual throw - or DPDT) - I'll post all the details on that later on today.  I have sound samples of each setting that I can provide as well.  This info went away with DP2, so reposting it here will probably be helpful.

Fantastic, thanks!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 04:24:15 PM »
Please post that mod again.  I am mod happy and that one is one of the best for an eb2.

The way I have been thinking of incorporating it is to leave the push button for the choke, and put the straight out mud option on a push/pull tone pot, so you keep the freaky push button.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.