Author Topic: 65 NR Thunderbird on Ebay: Rare color?  (Read 1485 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: 65 NR Thunderbird on Ebay: Rare color?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:05:17 PM »
I saw that.  Ax-in-Hand used to be one of the premier places to find vintage guitars and basses.  Larry (RIP) who started it, was a great guy and educated me a lot about Gibson vs. Epiphone basses.  I bought/sold/traded 4 basses with him in the late '70s.  He passed away in the '90s, as I recall, and his shop was taken over by a new owner.  I don't know about the new owner, but I can see that his inventory is a lot lower than when I used to visit.  I would contact the owner directly, and ask questions.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:32:21 PM »
There was a similar heritage cherry NR II on Ebay a while back:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:36:44 AM »
 Now that two have been sighted I may reconsider that the finish is original. Over priced ? I guess we will know if someone pays that price. Personaley I think it is but hey I remember the days when you could get one for 400 bucks.................................. or less.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 05:42:26 AM »
Kevin said his was original.

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
    • My Blog, The Guitar Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »
I have seen a NR Firebird and I think a 12-string Firebird in that exact finish also - so I'm inclined to believe its original.  I think Gibson would do any color on any instrument for an extra $25 around 1966.   A good investment, eh ?

krishna

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 06:19:21 AM »
I saw that.  Ax-in-Hand used to be one of the premier places to find vintage guitars and basses.  Larry (RIP) who started it, was a great guy and educated me a lot about Gibson vs. Epiphone basses.  I bought/sold/traded 4 basses with him in the late '70s. 

Wow, I used to visit there in the late 70's myself. I bought my first Rick 4001 there in 1979 when the headstock on my NR bird broke for the first time. Gene Liberty had his repair shop upstairs from Ax-in-Hand. He repaired the headstock and installed the 2 Dimarzio Model 1 pickups that I bought downstairs. Since I couldn't remain bassless while it was being fixed (or maybe saw the JetGlo 4001 and fell in love with it), my guitar playing friend loaned me the money to buy the 4001.