Author Topic: Wireless systems  (Read 2378 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Wireless systems
« on: March 06, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »

Hey All,

I rather suddenly find myself needing a new wireless for onstage use, my old unit, an AKG is cutting out and I'm never happy to use something I don't trust in a "live" situation. So is anybody regularly using a wireless that they're liking? Got some recommendations for a new set up? Any brands I should avoid?

Thanks   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bass VI

• View Profile
Re: Wireless systems
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »
Mark,
I went "untethered" for years, my best advice is to shop for a system that dosn't "color" your sound too much. I used a Shure LX ( I think?) for quite a while because it seemed to give me about the same tone that I got when using a cable. Some systems muck up the tone to a point that you find yourself eq ing the crap out of your bass rig to get back what is lost. I don't have a real preference between VHF and UHF systems, but I do believe you should look for one that is "true diversity", basically two seperate transmitters and recivers, you'll get far fewer dropouts that way. Having said that, wireless technology is always improving ( cost down/features up ) but I havn't found a system that wasn't in the thousand plus range that I really liked the tone ( versus a cable that is ) Haven't looked in about a year or so, I'm sure they are out there.
FWIW,

Cheers,

Scott

PS..... I actually can't imagine you playing without a wireless, seems like it woul cramp your style ( unless of course you could turn the cable into a fashion accessory  ;D )
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:42:57 PM »
unless of course you could turn the cable into a fashion accessory  ;D

You've probably seen 'em , but if not, check out Bullet Cables.  Really good quality.

The one I use has .44 magnum bullet casings:

...not because I like bullets, but because I like coily cables and this is the only one I've found that doesn't suck.  Besides - it's fun to clothesline bandmates with it  :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:50:01 PM by chromium »

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:08:14 AM »
I had a Samson Airline UHF for a while (the one with the bug).  Nothing wrong with it, except I sometimes caught the pad switch on the bug and spent a few minutes wondering where my volume had gone. In the end I had a back to basics purge and got rid of it, along with a load of pedals I didn't really need.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:35:23 AM »
I believe it's Ahsdown who made a wireless system specially for bass players. They think it's the first one which can transmit bass sounds well.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=labs&ID=213

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »

Thanks Chris, that looks interesting......I see Bass Nortrhwest is a dealer, I'll talk to Evan Sheely about it this coming Thursday or Friday.  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:53:20 AM »
I always prefer a good vintage looking cable, cos I don't play at 60 ft. stages. But this Ashdown indeed is interesting. Like to try it out once.

Keep us posted George!

sflajimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »
Thanks Chris, that looks interesting......I see Bass Nortrhwest is a dealer, I'll talk to Evan Sheely about it this coming Thursday or Friday

let us know how that turns out. I have an Airline wireless with bug and I lent it to a friend. I thought it colored the tone too much personally plus I really have no need for it but I do hate cables. I'm a dork and they get in the way....

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 12:53:32 AM »
I talked to the guys o Ashdown at the Messe. To the son of mark Goodday, who's also in the company. They had very good reactions on the wireless system, but of course they wanna sell 'm.
Haven't tried it out yet, but I will soon.