Author Topic: My Guitar Player Is Doing It Again  (Read 874 times)

rahock

• View Profile
My Guitar Player Is Doing It Again
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »
My guitarist  and long time friend has been on a life long quest for the holy grail in his sound. I have started a number of threads about the numerous new amps he has picked up over the last few years. A couple of weeks ago he picked up the top of the line Bose L System and the Stomp Box , an effects/emulation unit that is capable of 4000 patches( not a typo here, I said four thousand) and has a full Macintosh computer at the heart of the operation. We're still working the bugs out but this is an amazing set up.
I've never seen an electric player use a Bose set up like this. I know acoustic groups will run a couple of these things through a mixer and run everything through them as a PA.  Vocals, guitars, bass and whatever, with no need for monitors because of the unique way they disperse the sound in multiple directions. Acoustic players rave about them , but I've never seen anyone else use one as a guitar amp.
The capabilities of the Stomp Box are beyond anything I've seen, but this Bose L thing is a real piece of engineering right from concept. It really fills a room but the sound is non-directional. A conventional amp with a conventional speaker is very directional. You turn it up and stand in front of it and it blasts your pant legs and your ears off and the sound also pounds itself into the pickup zones of the vocal mics and creates feedback. This Bose thing just fills the room without that directional blast and it doesn't attack the pick up zones for the vocal mics. I was amazed to see/hear how much cleaner and louder the vocals got just by implementing this Bose L System as a guitar amp. And oh yeah , the guitar sounds great. Mega Power, unbelievably well dispersed sound and the Stomp Box delivers any sound you've ever heard come out of any guitar and amp combo.

Way too techy for a simpleton like me, but it's just right for him :) Like I said, we're still working the bugs out of it, but so far so good.
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in Guitars etc, but I would appreciate any feedback on the Bose L and the Stomp Box to help us get this set up tweaked in.
Rick