Author Topic: The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"  (Read 57799 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 12:24:40 PM »
love the colour on that top car

I think that is House of Kolor brandywine sprayed over their "shimrin" silver base.  Those are three stage urethane paints - base, tinted color coat, and clear.  In my younger days I used to watch my friends uncle paint cars with that stuff.  Looked tricky to apply in that context, but would probably be a bit easier on a small surface like a guitar- you have to spray the tint coats very evenly so you don't get darker streaks in the final color.  That stuff is pricey, but the colors are out of this world.  Here's a site I found with some samples:

https://www.phoenixcustompaints.com/store/index.php?cPath=0_28_24&page=2

Re: Dave's idea for that transparent cherry - look up the Alembic Bat Bass.  Maybe you could do some artistic inlays along those lines.  Another option might be a metal control panel with engraving, or even metal panels over the wings, ala Zematis.  I have to admit, it did look elegant in cherry.

Where would I hang the chandelier...?

Boy is that a loaded question!   ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »
COUGH...!

Ta for that link Joe...

My "art" has always been a bit "out-there"... as a kid (about 11) one summer, the art teacher set a variety of projects; I chose art with polystyrene... forgot all about it (my story, and I'm sticking to it!) until the weekend before we ent back... PANIC...! well, I got a box of old patterned ceiling tiles (v.pop. in the 60's), some glue, some solvent, and my buddies dads BIG soldering iron, and went to work... about 20 minutes later, I was done...
Well, came the big day, and there were all these sniggering kids, looking at this "thing" that was around 3x2 and a couple of inches thick, all burnt and dripping where the solvent went to work, whilst they had bas-relief works, and painted beauties... If the ground had opened up and swallowed me whole, it would not have been enough to hide my shame...

Won first prize in the overall competion against all the other works that year...  :mrgreen:

I do regular stuff, too...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
Ta for that link Joe...

Hey I just noticed the text on that link I gave you.  Those samples are not of the traditional 3-stage kandy paints, but rather a new(er) paint that has the kandy tint mixed right into the basecoat.  Sounds like you just clearcoat that and you're done:

SHIMRIN KANDY BASE COATS KBC Kandy Base Coats are a mixture of Kandy and select Pearls into a SHIMRIN? Universal Base Coat that mimics a Kandy finish. They feature low build, fewer coats, are easy to apply, and touchups are easier than ever. Available in the same great 20 colors as our regular kandys. Due to their unique chemical make-up they may be top coated with either an acrylic lacquer or urethane enamel.

Anyway- just fyi.  Easier is better!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 02:36:41 PM »
I cant see doing clear with all the damage & filling.

Just keep it simple. I like the House Of Kolor idea. You would need a air compressor & air gun for that though, or you could take it to a car shop for the final paint?

Hopefully they do not have to "bake" the paint.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »
I'm no expert but I think that some of the baking is done at low temps and mainly it's more of a UV cure thing?  Not sure if they have chopper shops in the UK but here in Houston there are probalby 25 top end shops that paint custom bikes, low riders, hot rods, rice burners and the like - might be pricey though :o

I guess there's somebody in the UK pimpin' out scooters :)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
Well, "Flip" paint is a pro job, but still tempted to enquire on cost...

No "Orange Counties" local to me, Buzz & John, but there are numerous customisers... I do like those colours Joe posted the link for...  8)

I don't think the natural finish is on, but still researching veneers...

This is not going to be a rush job...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 06:05:10 PM »
That's nicely stripped now!  I think a seafoam green would be really cool!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
Nice idea, Bill... my daughter has the same radical sentiments as me, though... dangerous...  and 16 next month... :o

as per my post on your most recent in the luthier pages, Bill...
Gotta ask... should I leave her bare wood or "sand and seal" now, even pre the body repairs, as I've still got to source my timber...?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:13:59 PM by Kenny Five-O »

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 06:59:13 PM »
I'm not Bill but, I say make your repairs then seal, etc

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 07:14:17 PM »
Always repair completely before sealing.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »
whats "flip paint"?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 09:15:59 PM »
It's that color shifting metallic auto paint.

nofi

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 06:03:29 AM »
  plug the hole, paint it black and call it a day. of course i say that about everything. :mrgreen:

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 06:20:40 AM »
  plug the hole, paint it black and call it a day. of course i say that about everything. :mrgreen:
do this.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 04:44:44 AM »
After I do a patch like this Kenny,  I wait a week and then run superglue around then entire seem, let it dry and sand it down.  This is fine as long as you go with a solid color as it will leave a visible stain on the wood.  I think it helps keep the seem together over time as the wood shifts with temperature changes, etc.  Just something that makes me feel better about those kinds of fixes.   :)