Author Topic: The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"  (Read 57907 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:55 AM »
I think that the best way to keep your patch from showing is to veneer, with the thin 1mm stuff, the entire lower wing after the patch is in place.  Then if you are a nit picking perfectionsist like myself you will veneer the upper wing as well so as to have a perfect match in thickness 8) God only know how this would through off the sound if the top didn't match the bottom ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
Bryan and Nofi are definitely anarchists at heart, which must be black...  ;D

Bryan... "Flip Paint" is a patented finish, but there are several (patented) ways around it to produce similar effects... it involves a multiple layered fin that has a liquid crystal layer (which has to be sprayed at a specified angle?), which is where you get the refraction of the light... one of the best versions I have seen is an electric green with purple... really quite startling... common over here with the trendier "pimp-my-ride" and "EVO" brigade... never seen a guitar in this type of fin, yet... as Buzz, mentioned, possibly a "chopper-shop" job, of which there are several in London...

Bill and Buzz... both points noted... still may be tempted to go for an exotic wood veneer, but...

"Cherry Resurection" is making a late run on the inside...  ;D

Gentlemen... any other sites other than Reranch for fin ideas or examples...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
You might try Project Guitar forum.  I don't go there much, but they might have some stuff to look at....................
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »
It's that color shifting metallic auto paint.

Also known as "Mystic".  It comes in various base colors, but all of them change depending on the angle of the light.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »
Ta for that Bill...

Not heard of that variant of the name before, Al...

I'll add you to the heart-of-darkness club then Buzz, with chrome highlights...  ;D
seriously though, that fin looks quite interesting...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 06:09:22 PM »
That fin would certainly hide a defect or two ;D 

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »
with black you don't have to worry about what shirt your wearing. i went to practice with a green shirt one day not thinking that i was playing my cherry red LPB1.i  looked like a x-mas tree.not cool.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 12:08:37 AM »
I prefer my girls natural, and my basses solid. Pelham blue maybe?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »
Bryan... if you consider that I played live with the previous scheme...!!!

Exiled in sunny Greece... a type of blue has been high on my list... prefer my ladies un-enhanced, too...  ;)

Buzz... and there are several of those...  ;D

btw... merry Xmas Bryan...  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: (you can use these for decs...)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 03:55:05 AM »
Wow!!! Both the naked chin and the naked bass! I hope it turns out well!!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 01:30:24 PM »
I intend to to her proud, Chris...  ;)

As an outside bet I thought I'd contact the original "Peter Cook" shop, just in case he was contactable...

To: petercooks@
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:22 PM
Subject: Peter Cook Custom Thunderbird Bass - researching history

To whom it may concern…

I am trying to find out who the original owner of the Peter Cook built bass that I have owned since the 70’s was, bought 3rd hand in ’77 or so, also how old she is, estimate is 1972, but no way of knowing…

I am presently putting her back into a semblance of order after years of abuse (details can be found on the “Last Bass Outpost” site where I am presently running a repair thread)

I regret not asking him about her when he did some minor repairs at the original workshop…

If you have no records, is Peter contactable, even if not directly…? Please pass this on if you are unable to assist directly…

The bass is in the Thunderbird/Firebird body style, with an “early Precision style profile” (so I’m told – never owned one) through neck, and a flying-V style head, with the truss-rod cover bearing the name “Peter Cook Custom”. The Bridge and end-piece are early Gibson Thunderbird parts (or a very good copy) and she originally had PC designed pick-ups, similar to a red/yellow bass he made for John Entwistle, gold plated covers; one died years back and the other is presently missing – the present pups are a mudbucker from an early 70’s EBO and an RD active (run passively) from my own RD Artist bass. – the (original) fitted case is mock snow-leopard fur lined…! Mahogany body with ebony board/ big oblong MOP inlays; neck did have cream binding – gold Schallers. Original fin was cherry.

The bass is presently back to bare wood with me searching for a variety of things, including a piece of timber to be fitted over (within the surface after routing the body to suit) the control bay, which was caved-in in an accident…

As I said, a major overhaul…!

Yours faithfully

Ken Stewart

I would also like to make it quite clear that this is for my own curiosity and for insurance valuation purposes only – a number of people have pointed out that she is effectively irreplaceable – I never intend to sell this instrument; just means too much to me…

This was the reply...  :sad:

Sent: 10 September 2009 12:39
To: KJ&R Stewart
Subject: Re: Peter Cook Custom Thunderbird Bass - researching history

Hi Ken,

I regret that we have no records of Peter's old instruments.

Peter left the industry in 1990 and we don't have contact with him. The business was sold in 2008, so any residual records were lost during this period.

I wish you luck with your refurbishment!

Regards,

Paul,   PCGW

Oh well...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »
That's really too bad. Sounds like it might be very hard to locate him, common name and no presence in the business for years.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »
Dave, I believe the American terminology is "bummer"...  :-\

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
I always thought he died... But I'm wrong... But he must be somewhere?!? Maybe people like Tony Bacon (writer of a lot of guitar books) knows where he is?