Author Topic: Where do you work?  (Read 7042 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Where do you work?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 12:01:01 AM »
I work for an insurance company that deals in excess/surplus and specialty lines - high risk property, commercial liability, etc...  They write a lot of oddball policies too - insuring celebrity body parts, athletes legs and feet, and the like.

In order to hold policy data on something like J-Lo's butt, you need secure secure server, data, and storage network infrastructure, and that's what I design as an IT Architect.

At the office, we have seas of cubicles and conference rooms (in which I spend a staggering amount of time), and a couple of datacenters.  Here are some older pictures (~2003) that I had snapped of a robotic tape stroage library, and disk storage array:

The good news is that the folks over there are great, and I work with virtual teams - enabling me to telecommute for a good portion of the week.  The scenery is much better in my home office:

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 05:36:21 AM »
FAA.  my office supports air traffic control operations, we provide maps for their radar displays and all kinds of data.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 06:05:11 AM »
I'm frightened of Uwe's office building.......I think its the living incarnation of 1984's Ministry of Truth.

Room 101,huh? You have to play Fender basses there ...

It's just the way they photographed it though, in real life it is not that foreboding, it's a pretty weathered building and Frankfurt's oldest high rise by now, stemming from 1980 (all the older ones have already been torn down and replaced by new ones). We're by far the largest tenant - no doubt if we ever move out, it will be torn down too. So far we haven't, because for all its old age and general ugliness, it uses space very effectively. Whenever our lease runs out and we have our mind set on moving, the landlord comes up with some enticing package to make us stay for another few years and renew the lease. Next time, I'll demand a Gibson Bass museum from them!!!    ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 06:07:15 AM »
The scenery is much better in my home office:

Nice collection of basses, Joe! Wow

My office is in my studio too. I'm breaking into network marketing.
Just got 1,000 business cards printed up. Hopin' to make BIG money this year.
A lady in Oz just made $108,000 in one month- January- & she's only been with the company 8 months!!!!!!!!
One of my mentors drives a Maserati. I want a Hummer!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »

Uwe,

It just looks so antiseptic.....please gawd, No! ........no Fenders!
Two other things:
First, Yea! to Nigel S, one of my Myspace friends and fellow T Bird player from the U.K. I'm so glad you're here.......I've been bullying him to join us.
 And to be sure that I am a complete and hopeless dork when it comes to lighting etc........ when looking at Joe's shot of his beautiful collection, I couldn't help but notice the group of switches on the wall for his room lighting.......So I'm thinking to myself. Are they Lutron? Lightolier......maybe Leviton.
I need a life!!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
I couldn't help but notice the group of switches on the wall for his room lighting.......So I'm thinking to myself. Are they Lutron? Lightolier......maybe Leviton.

You'd be proud of me - I even installed some of those nifty touch-sensitive dimmers with no moving parts.   :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 10:25:31 AM »
You'd be proud of me - I even installed some of those nifty touch-sensitive dimmers with no moving parts.   :)

That sounds just like something Fräulein Rommel would really like: dim lighting, touch-sensitive and then some parts begin to move indeed ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 10:26:41 AM »
And to be sure that I am a complete and hopeless dork when it comes to lighting etc........ when looking at Joe's shot of his beautiful collection, I couldn't help but notice the group of switches on the wall for his room lighting.......So I'm thinking to myself. Are they Lutron? Lightolier......maybe Leviton.
I need a life!!

I'm the same way with TV and movies. I notice flaws in continuity and color, dirt and negative scratches, audio being slightly out of sync, you name it... I've even got my wife trained to see stuff now! (I don't want to be the only one obsessing over that stuff in the house.  ;D)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:27 AM »

I really can't go anywhere and not notice lighting, once you know what to look for you'd be surprised at how much of it is just so bad........

"That sounds just like something Fräulein Rommel would really like: dim lighting, touch-sensitive and then some parts begin to move indeed ..."

Herr Moderator,   you know me best!....... ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »
I work for an insurance company that deals in excess/surplus and specialty lines - high risk property, commercial liability, etc...  They write a lot of oddball policies too - insuring celebrity body parts, athletes legs and feet, and the like.

I was a commercial underwriter years ago, and one smaller company I worked for had an associated general agency that wrote special risks. Lots of interesting stuff, like hole-in-one insurance for golf tournaments.

And products liability for hard-to-place items. I remember one product was a...well, let's call it a lover's lube, the type sold in vending machines in restrooms. It made miraculous performance enhancement claims but it was nothing but lanolin and mineral oil. It was really not a high risk product. But I remember it because of the yearly correspondence between us and the carrier, it was legendary for double-entendres and other jokes.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »
My last employer was a medium-sized insurance company.  They wrote sexual harrassment coverage for the clergy.  And the hole-in-one coverage, as well.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »
And the hole-in-one coverage, as well.

For the Priests?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »
Let's see... we've got:

Priests - check...
   Lube - check...
   Sensitive parts - check...
   Some "videos" - check...
   J-Lo - check...
   Mood lighting - check...

OK - this thread is right on track.  Carry on!

;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »

The inevitable anal sex train wreck.......... ;)

Which then begs the question......we've been here how long? And No WWII??!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:31 PM »
I'm a college administrator/faculty member at Roberts Wesleyan College, a cozy little college in Upstate NY.  My subject area is health administration and bass rehabilitation.  Hope to retire in a couple years and focus on bringing bass disasters back to life.

Our obligatory web site:  http://rwc.edu/DAPS/MHA/
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!