Author Topic: Where do you work?  (Read 7037 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Where do you work?
« on: March 05, 2008, 12:28:02 AM »

Okay, I fondly remember a thread quite some time back in DP? in which we all said what we did for a living..... There's lots of familiar names here, but also plenty of great folks that I wouldn't mind knowing just a little better.
 So what do you do for a living? What puts the bread on your table........and gets you a new Gibson Bass every now and then?  Like it, Hate it? Got a pic to share?
Here's where I work :

My job for those of you that don't know is: as one of three managers at Seattle Lighting's largest showroom just south of Seattle. And tho I make it a point to "antagonize them in small ways almost everyday, its really a nice place to work, as this pic shows.   

Cheers
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Darrol

• View Profile
Re: Where do you work?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:46:36 AM »
At the moment, I only really work out of home or out in Venice,CA where my boss lives and has set up his business. Kind of just depends how important and how much work I am doing at one time to decide on which location I work from. Currently I have only really done Animatics which is helping me fund money to get the hardware and software to move up and get more work.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

sflajimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:26:24 AM »
I'm a marketing rep at AT&T. Which is a nice way of saying salesman. I work for the Yellow Pages & Yellowpages.com. I used to like the job, not so much right now. It's a tough business climate right now. Hard to convince business owners that in a tight economy they need to increase their advertising or at least keep it where it is. We do the best we can and I'm grateful I'm working!!! It's helped me fund a lot of equipment over  the years.....

nofi

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:57 AM »
i work at my son's roofing company. he was kind enough to throw the old man a bone when i could not continue my landscaping business due to health problems. i don't actual do any roofing work. i'm the guy that shows up when you owe us money. in a nice way of course.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:40:04 AM »
 I do a number of thing to keep the $ rolling in to feed my bass habit. My bread and butter is furniture repair/restoration for a large NE furniture retailer. I also have a small antique business-buy/sell, repair/restore. I flog stuff on ebay and most fun I buy and sell vintage basses and associated gear. Oh yeah I make replacement bridges for vintage Gibson Thunderbirds.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:03:01 AM »
I am a Toy Inventor, been doing it since 1979????????

Been in my own business since 1989???????

It's been all fun & Games as you would imagine

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:14:29 AM »
I work here, L-shaped corner office on the 26th floor,

as a litigation & dispute resolution partner of Clifford Chance:

http://www.cliffordchance.com/directory/lawyers/details.aspx?LangID=UK&contentitemid=3054&f=uwe&l=hornung&p=all&c=all&o=all&positionid=all&countryid=45&officeid=all
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 08:17:33 AM »
I'm working for Chase Home Finance, doing production support for their document imaging system.  Computer crap, I call it.  We're one of the very few home mortgage operations that's not in the toilet right now. 
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:43:37 AM »
I'm a union rep for the International Brotherhood of Curmudgeons.  ;D

No, seriously, I'm allegedly retired but I've done some contract work off and on for an attorney, and now it's on again.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 10:38:34 AM »

I'm frightened of Uwe's office building.......I think its the living incarnation of 1984's Ministry of Truth.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

HornetAMX

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
I'm the Postman! ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »
 When I look where Uwe works I think of what a pain in  the ass it's going to be to move out all those basses out of there when the time comes.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:21 PM »
Until recently, I was a college admissions counselor. My new gig isn't as glamorous(managing a video store), but there's a lot less drama. I was the only man in the Admissions department at the college. I'm also going back to school in May.

Nigel S.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 06:41:22 PM »
Hi TBird1958,

I work in Camborne, Cornwall, England. I run a property management company renting out out houses. It is great fun as everyone who works there plays bass or guitar. There are no really good guitar shops in the area so thank God for ebay!  :D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »
I popped a couple pictures at work today to celebrate that I'm actually working again! If the actors don't go out in June I may actually make a living again this year. Being back in my old career feels comfortable, but now comes the challenge of improving my skills and growing with the technology. So my job is basically getting paid to watch TV and movies all day:

My 'desk'.

This is what I look at all day.

This is what transfers film into an electronic signal.