Author Topic: Epiphone LP Bass "The Vinnie"  (Read 7007 times)

angrymatt

• View Profile
Epiphone LP Bass "The Vinnie"
« on: August 15, 2009, 01:55:39 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120458457087&Category=4713&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

I'm bidding on this right now.  I actually like the way it looks, but that only influences the impulse to buy so much.  Does anyone here have any insights into the sound?  Google hasn't been able to provide much info except an old review from Bass Player magazine.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphone LP Bass "The Vinnie"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:50:10 AM »
Nice bass! That black/maple combo reminds me of Roger Waters.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:45:35 AM »
Sorry, I've never heard it, but it was a production model, not "built when they were ordered" as he claims. They're only hard to find because they didn't sell well.

Here's a part of a catalog I saved: http://www.epiphone.com/images/04EpiCat4ap29-40.pdf, it's on the 10th page (marked pg. 38). Don't know why this one just has dot inlays.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
Thanks Dave, that's awesome. 

About three years ago there was quite a few of them on ebay.  But I haven't run across one on there in a while.

I did run across an interview with Willie Nelson's bass player, and he seemed to like his a lot.  Hmm, I guess if it stays low I'll get it.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »
A stunning beauty!
Good luck. Hope you win it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »
I did run across an interview with Willie Nelson's bass player, and he seemed to like his a lot.  Hmm, I guess if it stays low I'll get it.

Must be Bee Spears, he's been with Willie for decades. Excellent player.

I saw a YouTube video with him, it was filmed in a studio with Willie's band backing someone else, and you could see him at times (you sure could hear him well too). He was playing something with what sure looked like an Epi headstock, it looked like a bound thinline with trapezoid inlays so I'm guessing it was a Casady.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
Found this: http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=189 He has a Vinnie, a Casady and an El Capitan.

Sorry to take the topic away from the Vinnie but here's the video I had seen. Yep, a Casady.

And a much older performance with vocals.  :)

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »
The interview was for Epiphone, so it mentioned his Casady too.  Here is a link to the .pdf of the interview if anyone is interested.
angrymatt, the lurk

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 04:02:12 AM »
Never played one of those, but while a maple LP sounds somewhat like as a crime against nature conceptually, my maple prototype Epi LP sounds great. This Vinnie thing should be a snappy affair together with the EMGs.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »
Wow, beautiful bass! I'm glad YOU'RE bidding on this so I don't.  ;D

I'd try a pair of TB+ in place of the EMGs.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
I've considered that.  There's that pair that've been on the bay for a while.  The BIN is $119 I think.  Is that a pretty fair price for a pair of TB+s?
angrymatt, the lurk

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
That's a good price for for a pair of Gibson TB Plus.

If I were you, assuming you get it, I wouldn't plan in advance on doing anything to change it.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 02:11:22 PM »
Sorry to take the topic away from the Vinnie but here's the video I had seen. Yep, a Casady.

Wow - I really like that "Little Sunflower" clip!  Great jam and video, and I love the tone he gets out of the JCS there.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »
Wow thats cheap (currently $251 with 2 days to go) The pups alone would be worth more than that here.
Digresion our specialty!

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 10:38:35 AM »
1. I just noticed I posted the same interview as Dave, just different formats.  I really need to start paying more attention to things.

2. I got it.  Almost for nothing, but then someone tried to snipe it out from underneath me.  They almost got it too.

3. It should arrive in Florida shortly before I do.  Between this, the BaCHBird, and my new V, I shouldn't have to leave the house for like a month.
angrymatt, the lurk