Author Topic: While I was away  (Read 3779 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
While I was away
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:24:38 AM »
Yes, there are lessons to be learned here.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: While I was away
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
Damn! What a story. Pretty f'n hilarious. Dude found out in a pretty easy way that his girl was EXTRA chemically imbalanced.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
Life is a learning curve...

Lesson 3... "Make sure you T.A.L.K. to all parties concerned before making any drastic moves, like going to Europe, especially if German and planning any annexing..."  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »
Thanks for that Dave. I've had a rough few days and that was definitely a pick-me-up. I'm still grinning ear to ear. Sad part is, I dated a few like that... Sometimes HOT is not worth the trouble...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:55:44 PM »
I'd say he's a very lucky guy.  That woman strikes me as insecure, semi-literate, and borderline stalker.  He is extremely well rid of her.

Passionate isn't the word.  Nutball is closer!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
I'm not sure he was the most fervent lover. Europe has internet cafes, you can send something like "Thinking of you, but Rome is beautiful". Takes a second. Europe has phone booths too, if you don't want to pay roaming fees. And that he left the last night in the US without sending her an email saying where he was going was recklessly unromantic. Guy seems a bit non-committal to me. You know how men are, just can't bond ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
LOL...!

My wife thinks I've left home...

oops...

coming dear... yes I know it's past my bed-time and I'm up early and did a ridiculous amount of driving today, et-al... (luckily, Jackie is mostly more understanding...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »
I married one of those emotionally imbalanced people. Luckily she is also very intelligent and most of the time her brain overides her heart.
Its a maintenence Job, and after 10 years I must say I feel I've become quite good at it.

Cath (bless her heart) might think the things this woman put in her emails but would never say or act on them thankfully.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 12:21:36 AM »
There is a very fine line between emotional balance and boredom. I'm not sure that I would want to spend a life with a woman who always reacted sensibly. And if I left Edith for 12 days without making it exactly clear that I'm leaving and how long I'll be away AND then NOT be reachable for the complete trip, the Götterdämmerung would be nothing upon my return. And in good woman fashion she would of course forgive me over time but at the same time always find ways to remind me that she had forgiven me.

I think if this was a densely women-populated forum, most posts would read that the youtube European tripster acted irresponsibly like an idiot and that she was right to dump him (or should be happy that he dumped her). And I don't believe that they would find her reaction (the adultry thing aside, but do we all really know what happened in Europe?) especially imbalanced or irresponsible.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:16:07 AM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »
I hear you Uwe. but he indicated that he told her repeatedly that he was leaving for Europe.  If she actually cared about him, she should have paid SOME level of attention.  And they were not married - their level of involvement is not specified, but I don't see that he did anything that was negligent or violated any agreements with her.  He probably should have gotten some acknowledgment from her that she actually HEARD what he was saying, but if she didn't care enough to listen, she's at fault too.

I guess I'm the opposite from some others here.  I've been married to a wonderful lady for 25 years come November - we dated for four years before getting married - and in all that time, we've never had a fight.  We're both the type of people who dislike fighting, and due to our personalities and academic training, when we have a difference of opinion, we just talk about it.  That's right for her and me - but I recognize, not for everyone.  (No wonder I'm an academic at a university.)

I wouldn't touch a lady like the one in the story with a 10-foot pole.  I dated a few, and every one of them was more trouble and higher maintenance than I wanted to be involved with.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 07:59:56 AM »
She was in her own little world. She was paying attention to herself, not him.

He's fortunate that he found out before marriage.

Sent the link to an old high school buddy of mine, among other things, he said  "I guess that those of us that rank bra size ahead of emotional stability sometimes have problems like this." 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
We always discuss our issues too. It is only the volume level that sometimes varies!

I agree that the whole relationship between the two appears somewhat loose from both sides. I have zilch experience in that because ever since the other sex reared its ugly head into my puberty  :mrgreen:, I never had the urge to find as many girls as possible, but rather find the one and stick with her. Promiscuity is like a Fender bass to me, I understand the valors of the concept, but it holds no attraction. I'm not even moralistic (how can you be moralistic if you are not even tempted?), just patently uninterested. I have very good friends who are utterly promiscious and I don't regard that as a character flaw, just somewhat curious.

I'm weird, but have come to grips with it.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:59:54 AM by uwe »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:41:57 AM »
We always discuss our issues too. It is only the volume level that sometimes varies!

Ok Uwe, I'm giving you notice that I will be that quote from you  ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:00:07 AM by uwe »
Digresion our specialty!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 06:27:12 AM »
While there may be lessons to be learned, this sounds like a made-up story to me. I doubt it ever really happened.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 06:39:21 AM »
He has a blog, and I read the comments on the entry that has this video. I'd guess about 10% of the commentors thought it was made up. Could be, but I've met enough women who never hear what you're saying and enough people who like to disconnect when they go off hiking or backpacking that the story sounds plausible to me.