Author Topic: '73 Fender Precision on CL  (Read 11835 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
'73 Fender Precision on CL
« on: August 06, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »
Think this is worth it? I suspect so, at least in the long run.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1308788828.html
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: '73 Fender Precision on CL
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:03:31 PM »
If it's what it claims to be and really doesn't have neck problems and you're willing to refinish the body yourself, then yes. IMHO it really needs more than "a few minor fixes" to make it worth your investment.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »
Let's see. The neck and tuners are worth $500 on eBay if the neck isn't warped. Pickup $180-200, bridge $50, body should be at least $250, neck plate with '73 serial number $150.

BUT: The body has the thumb rest holes on the E side, so it's '74 or later, not '73 as the seller claims. If the neck plate is '73, this could be a parts bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 08:25:16 AM »
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to look at it this after work, so I'll let you know. I should have called and gotten the serial number, but the neck has to come off to check the body for dates, right?
Clocks.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:30:35 AM »
Dating the body could be tricky. There are no date stamps in 70's Fender bodies. It's a post-74 body for sure.

There should be an 8 digit neck code stamped at the heel. The year is the 7th digit (3=1973). It should start with 0103 (P bass, fretted maple neck), then 2 digits for the week code, next digit is the year, and the last digit is day of the week. So if it's a '73 neck, the neck stamp should be 0103XX3X.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »
Boy, my 70P is in a whole lot better shape than that 73 :o
Rick

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:27:10 PM »
Dating the body could be tricky. There are no date stamps in 70's Fender bodies. It's a post-74 body for sure.

There should be an 8 digit neck code stamped at the heel. The year is the 7th digit (3=1973). It should start with 0103 (P bass, fretted maple neck), then 2 digits for the week code, next digit is the year, and the last digit is day of the week. So if it's a '73 neck, the neck stamp should be 0103XX3X.

Thanks, I will be sure to check the numbers. During lunch I was trying to hunt up pics of '73s and '74s so I could compare them (for now and for my own knowledge), but couldn't really tell the difference. What are some other differences between those two years? Some of the '73s I saw which were allegedly original had the thumbrests in the same place as this one, but I assume it would be an easy add.
Thanks!
Clocks.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 04:37:15 AM »
Well, I brought it home and not for what he wanted. :)
Haven't taken the neck off to see what's stamped on the heel but with the number on the plate, the position of the drill holes for the thumb rest, etc. I'm pretty sure that it is a '72. The number on the neckplate is 361052. The poor thing has definitely seen a ROUGH life, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 05:26:12 AM »
 I like that alot ! I have a '73-'74 black with maple. I'd just put a new guard on her and call the job done ! Cool bass ! The headstock on these have laqeuer on the face while the back of the neck is shot in poly, that is why the face of the headstock is so amber in color, it has aged over time.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »
Although I'm not a fan of relics, I tend to agree - put a PG on it and play it.  Looks like well earned wear to me.

But I do think it's worth a look in the neck pocket to see what you see.  Markings or stamps in there might be very helpful.

My knowledge on details isn't that great - but IIRC Fender moved the tugbar from the G to the E side around 73/74.  There don't appear to be any screw holes on the G side, which might mean a later build date.  However, we all know that Fender is inconsistent in details like that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:36:49 AM »
Unless you strip it and find plugged holes for a finger rest on the treble side, I'll agree with Ilan that it has to be a 74 or later body, regardless of the serial number on the neck plate or pot date codes.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 12:07:34 PM »
So I must ask what did you bring her home for ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »
The number on the heel is 01031334 and has a name stamped on it, either A or S ARMENTA. Same name on the pocket.
It appears to be a crappy brush paint over the original laquer on a natural finish body as there is no sign of other paint. I'd leave it black except for it's really soft and kind of gooey in some places. The guy at the shop said he wouldn't worry about a fret job.

Dave, when I strip off the black I'll send pics of the cleaned up body.

GoT, I brought it home for $650.
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 12:59:47 PM »
Great deal, nice bass ! Finish how ever you like !

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »
Thanks, man, I appreciate it!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:18:43 AM by Denis »
Clocks.