Author Topic: Ha!  (Read 3522 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Ha!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:38:11 PM »
 :o

Well, if your lottery ticket came up a loser, you can always hope for eBay to come through.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:47:57 AM »
Nice one! I like the chrome pupped vrsions beter though...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:21:18 AM »
Now I don't feel so bad about the one I just acquired, no matter what defects it might have!!!   :D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 05:01:10 AM »
Yep, I've taken to rebuilding and rehabing as a way to get what I want at bargain rates!  This guy's nuts!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:45:16 AM »
He may be a little crazy, but that is one sweet specimen (the blondes look better with the black pup), not a ding on her! In the seller's defence, he is using the 'make an offer' option and the 20K is only the BIN. Time will tell exactly how crazy he is.

Uwe -  did you ever recieve the cointinental you ordered.  I ask because I saw the case for one on ebay, meaning that they DO exist.... meaning that you'll have to get one somehow.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 08:51:47 AM »
Uwe -  did you ever recieve the cointinental you ordered.  I ask because I saw the case for one on ebay, meaning that they DO exist.... meaning that you'll have to get one somehow.

Sure - dangle the chesse in front of the mouse!!!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »
That is exactly like the one I had, although mine was a 58.  Best bass I ever owned, and how I picked my handle.  I prefer the single coil mudbucker, and while I like chrome, once you go black you never go back.

But I think even if I hit the lottery I would not pay that much.  I would pay a bit more than Uwe did for his very respectable in transit example, but not close to $20 g's.  I saw one about 8 years ago for $5 grand, which is maybe closer to what this would be worth.  There weren't a lot of the naturals made, and very few have survived intact, but there were a few made in 59.  Reality hits Gibson fandom in the face when you compare what you could get in terms of a Fender bass and their combo of demand and appreciation vs any Gibson bass.  At this level you are jumping into the speculation pool and a vintage Fender will always be a safer investment.

"Ha!" sure, but for me "sob." 

Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 09:19:57 AM »
Sure - dangle the chesse in front of the mouse!!!

Couldn't resist - once he gets that banjo-tuner EB2 the kollektion would be otherwise complete.  What would Uwe do with his spare time?  It's a favour really - I'm giving him purpose in life.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 09:46:35 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I love the naturals and would give a pretty penny for one.  Just not 2,000,000 of them!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
In the end, it's worth what someone will pay for it. At this time I can't see anyone coming close to that, but you never know what some compulsive collector might be willing to pay. And I'm not talking about Uwe. This is a rarity and no doubt others would want it. Just probably not at that price.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 06:56:25 AM »
"And I'm not talking about Uwe."

Thanks for making that clear!  ::) :-\

My by far most expensive bass was the near pristine hollowbody EB-6 for 10 thousand bucks, that was a one time only investment, I don't intend to go there again ever, dangle all you will!

"Uwe -  did you ever recieve the cointinental you ordered.  I ask because I saw the case for one on ebay, meaning that they DO exist.... meaning that you'll have to get one somehow."

Thanks, Jake, I saw that too, but to me it looks exactly like a case for a Lee Sklar Signature. The Tobias-type elongated shape of the Continetal could never fit in that shape cutout, it would need a more rounded bass like the Lee Sklar. Also that case is brown with darkbrown edges and pink interior (just like Lee Sklar cases have), Gibson gave up on that style when they introduced SG RI, Doublecut, TB Studios and Continental a few years ago - the new style was black case with white sheep fur, so I don't regard this as compelling evidence for the existence of the elusive Continental V ...

My quest for the latter has received a severe setback when my "Swiss Connection" backed out of the contract after their supplier made it clear it could not after all provide a specimen ... So to this day my only proof for one ever having come out is (i) seeing one at the Frankfurt music fair some years back, (ii) a dissatisfied customer report on one at Muscian's Friend.

But I haven't given up yet!!!!

Uwe
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:24:18 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:24:37 AM »
I wouldn't take the customer report on MF as proof the Continental V actually went into production.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 10:25:18 AM »
Agreed, but it's the only other indication to that I actually saw and touched one at the fair! There must be prototypes around, they cannot just have built one specimen for the fair and to picture at their official site. My pet theory is that the Continental Vs were to be built by Tobias until someone screamed (quite rightly) "cannibalizing sales!" and put an end to all that nonsense.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
In the end, it's worth what someone will pay for it. At this time I can't see anyone coming close to that, but you never know what some compulsive collector might be willing to pay. And I'm not talking about Uwe. This is a rarity and no doubt others would want it. Just probably not at that price.

LOL, I've said the exact same thing in other discussions about vintage basses!  Even though there might be some crazed collector who can't live with it, the majority of rational folks who understand vintage basses know when something appears way out there.