Author Topic: Gibson Reflector Knob Conundrum ;-)  (Read 1471 times)

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
Gibson Reflector Knob Conundrum ;-)
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »
Ok...so I'm completely confused. One source says Gibson Gold Reflector Knobs from the mid 60's on came with BOTH Gold Inserts AND Silver Inserts. Another source says Gibson NEVER made a Gold Reflector Knob w/Silver Inserts.

What is actually correct for a mid 60's Gibson sunburst EB-2?

In my minds eye I always saw Gold Reflectors w/Silver Inserts. The Cherry EB-2's had black w/Silver Inserts. Guitars and/or basses with gold parts had Gold reflectors w/Gold Inserts.

Help straighten me out here...what should actually be on my sunburst '66 EB-2D?

I suppose the answer is in the world of gibson in the 60's anything and everything is possible...ugh!

Congratulations UWE on your latest EB-2 purchase!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Reflector Knob Conundrum ;-)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »
I don't know the answer but I don't remember ever seeing silver inserts on the gold knobs. That's not to say they weren't made.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:49:45 AM »
Maybe you can fins something in the brochures at gibsonbass.com?

I have this 335-book and it has pics of 335-types with all lkind of knobs. Black and amber speed, black and amber bell, black and amber mirrorplates, witch hats, et cetera.

I always like the mirrored ones best.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:19:34 AM »
Sometimes I'd like to have your worries!!!  ;D :D ;)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:14:13 AM »
I believe - and I could be both mistaken or this could be a case of Gibson doing whatever whenever - that regular old sunburst EB2s 1964 through 67 had Gold with chrome inserts.  If cherry, they got black.  I haven't paid attention for Sparkling burgundy.  If there was a non-standard finish, like the odd natural, black, or Pelham Blue, they got gold knobs, and if they ever did a white one it would have got black knobs.  I think they always said TONE, and there may have been both VOLUME and VOL variants, but again I can't recall too well on the latter.  Jules will probably know.  I also believe Epis did the exact same.  I think Gold with gold insert may have been reserved for fancy pants stuff like ES-355s with gold hardware, but if they needed a couple and they were in the box, they probably used them on a sunburst here and there.

The earlier ones - 57ish through 61 used bell knobs, amber for Sunburst, natural and black knobs for Cherry for the few they made at the end.  They did make some black ones in 60-61 and I think they had gold bells, but I have only seen one legit one.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:57:31 PM »
Thanks all!

My memory tends towards EB2's...Gold Reflector Knobs W/Silver(chrome) Inserts.

Just wanted to get some of your trusted opinions.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »
According to Rumbleseat they made a white one (12500$) and like eb2 said black knobs: