Author Topic: Reversal of Alzheimer's?  (Read 5680 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Reversal of Alzheimer's?
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »
I'm always a little skeptical of health news reporting, seems the major media are always trying to panic the public. But take a look at this story. If it's accurate, it could be a major breakthrough.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Reversal of Alzheimer's?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 06:09:56 AM »
 My mom suffered terribly from Alzheimers. She died at 65. I can't believe she has been gone 10 years. She passed away a month before our daughter was born, that would have made here so happy.............she was never aware that we were expecting.  I hope they have found a way to help.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rockinrayduke

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
Too late for my parents as well but if this turns out to be a cure at last it would be a medical triumph beyond belief. Hope it happens before I get Alzheimers.:'(  Fascinating article, Dave.

felig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »
Interesting...but, I feel like "Alzheimer's" is too generically applied to other conditions--e.g. dementia (another term too broadly applied).  It's my impression that the medical community is still trying to get a fuller understanding of the disease.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »
"While the article discusses one patient, many other patients with mild to severe Alzheimer’s received the treatment and all have shown sustained and marked improvement."

That does sound promising and certainly like big bucks for the pharmaceutical producer who gets there first.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
I've always been curious about the Alzheimers/ Dementia debate. I've known personally (Including my stepfather) several seniors with those problems. While I'm no doctor I think the biggest part is that once they retire or lose husbands/wifes, friends etc. a large part of their daily routine is lost to them. My ex-sister in law's father is a perfect example he was well respected in his field, first his wife of 50 years dies then a year latter he retires little by little as his former life disappeared his thought process started to falter. Once the familiar faces and his job responsibilities weren't there any more he started to forget things became confused, however if you started a conversation regarding his former job he appeared perfectly normal.  My mom on the other hand never lost her curiosity she taught herself how to use a computer, she loves to e-mail local & federal officials to express her opinion and her next project is to start a blog. I not saying it's not a sreious disease but I'd be intrestesting to see if keeping those people alert & intrested in the events around them would help them deal with the problem better.
Tony

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
I'm here also. Looks nice so far.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »
Daniel has Alzheimer?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 05:33:29 PM »
That made me chuckle Uwe.
Tony

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:05 AM »
I've always been curious about the Alzheimers/ Dementia debate. I've known personally (Including my stepfather) several seniors with those problems. While I'm no doctor I think the biggest part is that once they retire or lose husbands/wifes, friends etc. a large part of their daily routine is lost to them. My ex-sister in law's father is a perfect example he was well respected in his field, first his wife of 50 years dies then a year latter he retires little by little as his former life disappeared his thought process started to falter. Once the familiar faces and his job responsibilities weren't there any more he started to forget things became confused, however if you started a conversation regarding his former job he appeared perfectly normal.  My mom on the other hand never lost her curiosity she taught herself how to use a computer, she loves to e-mail local & federal officials to express her opinion and her next project is to start a blog. I not saying it's not a sreious disease but I'd be intrestesting to see if keeping those people alert & intrested in the events around them would help them deal with the problem better.

Just remember that correlation is not causation. I've known people who got Alzheimer's not long after retiring, but also know of people who were afflicted despite staying active and working.