Author Topic: Calling all Ampeg amp experts  (Read 1824 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Calling all Ampeg amp experts
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »
I ran across an old Ampeg amp that I haven't seen before.  It's likely a '60s flip-top, but it looks more like solid state than tube.  The bottom appears to be a 2x12 cab with metal handles on the side.  What is it, and what's it worth?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Calling all Ampeg amp experts
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »
You'd probably have better luck here:

http://www.ampegv4.com/forum/index.php

Pics?

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
I think they made some solid state flip tops, but I don't think they were ever "prized" like the tube ones---

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:09:31 AM »
It sure sounds like my old Ampeg GT-15C. Those are 15 " speakers and they came three ways , either CTS, Altec 418 B or JBL. It's a solid state head that is rated at 230 watts peak/ 100 watts RMS and were made from 1965 to 1969. A good amp for it's time but it ain't no SVT. I've got a 1967 model and I've had it since 1968 , no clue what it's worth.  Mine seved me well  for many years but it hasn't seen action in a couple of decades. As Patman said, not as desireable as the tubies.
I had one of my speakers reconed a few years ago, and mine is in pretty good shape but it never gets used anymore.
Rick

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »
It's been a few days......just wondering what the scoop is on this Ampeg. Was I right in my assumption of what this thing is , and most important , what kind of price is on it ?
I'm curious what mine is worth. I wouldn't expect to hear a price of more than $500, but who knows with the vintage thing being so out of hand ???
Rick