Author Topic: Antigua is back  (Read 194 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Antigua is back
« on: April 14, 2024, 10:39:07 AM »
Squier Antigua P-bass ($418), Bass VI ($454), Strat and Tele Custom available for preorder at European retailers.

Yeah, it's pukeburst, it looks like your granny's cooker or fridge, but it grows on me.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Ken

• View Profile
Re: Antigua is back
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 10:54:27 AM »
I'm a fan of that finish. Probably no left-handed version, though.  Plus I don't find Fender comfortable.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 12:15:24 PM »
It is an audacious colour. I like it but my wife hates it. It goes beyond the realm of bad taste and back into being cool, for me. 

I've seen photos of, I think, one original guitar in zero hour condition and the finish looked like a sort of grey burst over Olympic white? The cheese-yellow-green tones all come from the clear coat yellowing, potentially. This would make the Squier finish an aged Antigua rather than exactly what rolled off the production line? My Antigua timeline is a bit approximate; I know they made the finish to hide glue seepage issues on the Coronado guitars in the '60s (quite a profound 'smokeburst' finish), but also rolled it out on many models in the late '70s?. I've seen photos of Antigua Mustang basses.

It wouldn't be too hard to find a maple neck with dots and a big slutty '70s Fender headstock logo to make the bass truer to the originals. I don't like blocks on a P Bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 02:26:36 PM »
Hideously ugly as ever.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 03:25:16 PM »
Kitchen sold separately.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 05:35:13 AM »
I still get a shudder when I see one.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 08:00:45 AM »
 :puke:

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 07:05:17 AM »
The cheese-yellow-green tones all come from the clear coat yellowing, potentially. This would make the Squier finish an aged Antigua rather than exactly what rolled off the production line?

Fender have applied Antigua as a NOS some years ago. A friend of mine got a Strat, I thought it looked incorrect. We perceive Antigua in its lightly aged form.

Some 70s Antiguas didn't have lacquered guards, so the only body shows yellowing.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 07:11:50 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023