Author Topic: "Cherished" numbers... car stuff...  (Read 988 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
"Cherished" numbers... car stuff...
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
The UK has an unhealthy obsession with personalised number plates which used to be/are called "cherished numbers"... you know, having fun, or being posy, or really sad, by making a bunch of letters or numbers into a name or word...

I always find a car with the make/model mimiced extra sad and some I've seen are a Saab Turbo with TUR130, and also TUR80, or one with AUD137 or any variant of BMW or M3 or M5 or J33P or AML, etc... RR1 is an exception... Many of these, I presume, are followed or preceded by the initials of the owner - one of my old bosses had a car plate given to him by his brother which read V8 with his initials which he was dumb enough to put straight on his "P" plate Jag, not knowing that the rule applies that the plate can only go on a car that age or newer... what is sadder still is that I recently saw him in a newer Jag with that plate... so he bought a car to match the plate...  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

A fun one I've seen is BAD 80Y or possibly V33 WEE and V33 DUB on Beetles, or ELV1S, but my favourite was a foreign plate high-end white Porsche that simply had GONE as the plate...

There are also the risque plates... one of the most notorious plates to slip through the censors net was/is owned by an "actress" called Fiona Richmond, and that plate was PEN15 ...

What about foreign plates, and the misunderstandings of language... I have seen a German Porsche in London with the plate which begun RO*CK xxx, but I have also seen another hi-end car which begun FU*CK xxx ... And I believe that there is an ex-pat. Brit living in California with a plate that reads B*LL*CKS and no one is the wiser, other than a few enlightened souls...

Another line of thought goes like this - German tourists were up in arms over a yoghurt drink advert emblazoned all over London Red bus's a few years back which stated in big friendly letters... "FRIJJ  - FRESH, FILLING AND FICK" ...  I don't get what all the fuss was about...

BTW, Uwe... there is a high end motor-chain called Guy Salmon near us and the guvnor and his wife used to own V1 and V2 ...  ;)

So, whilst on my way home on Saturday from an overtime job at a BAe site in Essex I saw a silver/grey Porsche convertible (probably a Boxster), but I did-not get past the plate as it read EB03 EBO - a Gibson fan, perhaps...?

Anyone else found better, or willing to stand up and admit to one...?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:59:34 PM by Kenny-Murdo' »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: "Cherished" numbers... car stuff...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
NJ's Motor Vehicle commission goes to great lengths to prevent "inappropriate" personalized license plates from slipping through the cracks. They have a staff dedicated to reviewing requests from every angle, even upside down and in mirrors. Very little gets by them.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:12:07 PM »
Same here, and yet back in the 70s I once saw a Texas personalized plate that read FECES. Always wondered how that slipped through.

They don't seem to be nearly as popular here as they were years ago.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:29:05 AM »
Driving home the other day I saw an exceptionally clean older white Ford Bronco with a nice set of wheels . Good looking, athletic young black guy driving , License plate "Not OJ". Made my day.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »
nice...

Remembered seeing an MGF on the M25 (London's equivalent of Hell - the route cause of the song "The Road To Hell") with the reg K8 8USH - never did get close enough to check but it was a woman driving it - just did not seem like her style as I believe she has been fairly reclusive...

Saw a Porsche today with the plate 6OSH - 400 mile drive today for one camera...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...