Author Topic: fender VI bass solo  (Read 8295 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: fender VI bass solo
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 06:25:34 PM »
I can proudly say I got right through to the end, effects an' all...  ;D

If you are gonna offer a revue you should be willing to do the work... ALL OF YOU - GO BACK AND LISTEN AT ONCE...!

Gotta admit that Geezer's solos were down-right ropy too, back in the day...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 02:05:05 AM »
Even if I really like Soft Machine, this solo was the chance to leave the computer to get a beer. And drink it outside my room, too.
I guess if I was stoned this could sound a bit better to my ears, but I don't even smoke, so...
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »
I can proudly say I got right through to the end, effects an' all...  ;D

If you are gonna offer a revue you should be willing to do the work... ALL OF YOU - GO BACK AND LISTEN AT ONCE...!

Gotta admit that Geezer's solos were down-right ropy too, back in the day...

I got to the end too, all in all the guy's not a bad bass player, just has a lousy bend and plays too light and needs a real bass and needs to dump the effects. ;D
Now if you're going to use overdrive at least be able to play like Tim Bogart.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 01:11:03 PM »
Nope, far from it.

THIS is the worst bass solo in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_u35sHICjE
LMFAO I have to agree !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »
I personally think that, as an artist, he has the right to play whatever bass he wants, use whatever effects he wants, and play whatever notes he wants. I actually think the bass looks and sounds great. How many people were using fuzz through a filter or octavers back then? Sure it's not the greatest solo ever, but within the context of the concert it was probably cool...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 03:24:30 PM »
Of course he does. I think the bass looks fine and sounds just like a Bass VI is supposed to sound. I just thought the song was a real snoozer.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 11:01:31 PM »
For those of you who really want to be able to recreate the intensity of that solo yourselves there is a '63 Bass VI available on ebay.oz for the bargain basement price of only US$7,430

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280344387156&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 05:03:41 AM »
personally think that, as an artist, he has the right to play whatever bass he wants, use whatever effects he wants, and play whatever notes he wants. I actually think the bass looks and sounds great. How many people were using fuzz through a filter or octavers back then? Sure it's not the greatest solo ever, but within the context of the concert it was probably cool...

I agree, the only reason I posted it was I have never seen a clip of what a Fender VI sounds like by itself. I really did feel sorry for him though. He was obviously the weakest player, much like Rick Laird in Mahivishnu. Can you personally imagine playing a solo like that with Allen Holdsworth in your band? He's got a lot of balls to play something that mediocre with the caliber of musicians Soft Machine had.

As far as using pedals, I dont see anything wrong with it when done well, such as Jack Bruce did-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkVVtB2vLBo

Larry Graham seemed to some great work with petals as well.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:39 AM »
I ran away when the fuzz part started, at about 1:45. Until then, I quite liked the sound. Very "organic". The VI that I used to own (a MIJ reissue) didn't sound like that, not with the OEM roundwounds or a custom LaBella flatwound set. So after the novelty wore off and the surf band split, I sold it.

BTW, you do know that the guy in the Wishbass demo clip is Steve Wishnevsky himself, right?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
I didn't know that!

Fitting I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGmX85sB4c

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 04:48:08 AM »
Of course he does. I think the bass looks fine and sounds just like a Bass VI is supposed to sound. I just thought the song was a real snoozer.

Some years ago a guy got up at a country jamboree and played a Fender VI like it was a guitar, played chords on it, said it had the original strings on it, was kind of funny actually.
OTOH, I remember seeing a local band in 1969, "The John Does" play at a local high school, the bass player had a Fender V playing through a Kustom with 3 15" speakers in it stacked and it sounded great. The player did the Take me For a Little While Solo from The Vanilla Fudge, which illustrates my point that you have to do is to be able to play like Tim Bogart and these wierd basses sound great ;)

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 04:49:53 AM »
Nope, far from it.

THIS is the worst bass solo in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_u35sHICjE

Agreed, it would be funny if it weren't so bad. He does all the bad things fretless players are known for doing except all in one song.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 11:00:06 PM »
Ughhh.....

Well I think I got about 30 seconds into it and realized I'd seen it. Thank God I don't have to go through it again. As for the "Wish someone would pull the plug" demo, at about 17 seconds the guy playing guitar looks at the camera and I'm pretty sure he's thinking "WTF! I'm never gonna help Steve out with a demo again" that made it all the funnier for me.
 In defense of the BassVI ( I mean come on look at my username ) it's not a bass it's not a guitar it's, it's.......well we don't know what it is, but try to imagine the Cure or New Order without one. 

Scott ( I've got three BassVIs' and no I would probably never solo on one! BassVI  :mrgreen:)
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »
it's not a bass it's not a guitar it's, it's.......well we don't know what it is

I know what it is, been playing 6-string basses since I got my first one in 1990.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 06:20:11 AM »
I know what it is, been playing 6-string basses since I got my first one in 1990.

an ERB?
Digresion our specialty!