Author Topic: New bottom-end Gretsch coming...  (Read 6667 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
New bottom-end Gretsch coming...
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »
I've had GAS for a low-end Gretsch since laying hands on a Junior Jet last summer.  I finally snagged one on Ebay at the right price...a 2202 Electromatic Junior Jet.  Should be here Friday or Monday.  I think Dr. Bassman noted a major difference in pickups between this and his Thunder Jet, but I'm still looking forward to having another classy short scale on hand.  I don't see this listed on the Gretsch website any longer, so perhaps it's no longer in production.

Looks like I'll be selling my Kay KB-2 SG-style to make room for it!

The neck shown in this photo was slightly warped, but I'm re-necking it this weekend with a neck that has dots, not inlays.  With the prices Kays are fetching, I think that with a good write-up, it will more than cover what I paid for the Gretsch!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:39:47 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New bottom-end Gretsch coming...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:12:03 PM »
I was the one who pointed out that the pickups were "designed by" TV Jones as opposed to actually made by him. Still, if it's anything like the couple I played a few years back, it will be a good sounding little bass for you.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »
Thanks, Dave.  Looking through the gretschpages.com it appears there were many different Synchromatic and Electromatic Gretsch models made with the same basic cosmetics as this (both guitar and bass), and I've checked a lot of online reviews of this bass and they are very positive.  There was a G1212 model with 2 pickups, but this 2202 has one.  I had the chance to play around with one at a GC last summer and it sure felt good. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »
The ones I played were both single pickup models.

Rocker949

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
I had no idea that that low end Gretsch bass was supposed to be any good.  If I had known, I would have probably bought one several months ago when I had a chance.  I still may, although those tuners do look cheap to me. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »
It's here, and here are photos of the real thing.  There is one chip near the bridge, and I'm thinking that mixing some black tint into clear lacquer would let me fill that chip with a toothpick pretty easily.  It wouldn't be a perfect match because the center of the body is a lighter grey and the chip is in the transition area, but darn close!  Any thoughts?

When the bass came in, the saddles (Fender-style) were all WAY high, and the action was too high as a result.  I lowered each saddle 4 full turns of the set screws, and the action is much better.  No fret buzz or other problems emerged, so maybe the previous owner just liked it that way...but it's much easier to play now.

The chip...

Here's most of my current bass lineup, minus the Rogue VB-100 that's in its case off to the side.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
If it's not going to match anyway, I'd probably just color it with a Sharpie. It doesn't look that bad as is.

Good that there weren't any issues that couldn't be adjusted.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
Nice little bass, I like those!  You could add a real TV Jones pup to it on down the road!

You can fill that hole with CA or epoxy colored black as well.  Probably work better since I assume that's a poly finish, right?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Blazer

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 06:43:46 PM »
It reminds me a lot of the Gretsch six string bass my Former Bassplayer used in my band.

I performed a lot of work on that one. I removed the bigsby, filed the grooves of the bridge saddles wider (because the strings were constantly popping out of them) and I replaced the pearloid pickguard with a black one. That Bass went through a LOT of abuse by its owner, he frequently chucked it at the end of a performance. But it always came back for more.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21:16 AM »
Buy some black & a white nail polish mixem until you get it close the just drop it in . works great and is cheap. i love tose basses. i saw that TV jones has some Gretsch  models  in their line .
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
Nice little bass, I like those!  You could add a real TV Jones pup to it on down the road!

You can fill that hole with CA or epoxy colored black as well.  Probably work better since I assume that's a poly finish, right?

The idea of the TV Jones pickup had occurred to me, I admit!  And I'm getting some good ideas on ways to fill the chip.

I have some leftover black dye from the refin I did with acrylic lacquer on my fretless...so I can color whatever material I use to fill.  I think the finish is most likely poly, and I'm thinking real hard about that thread where Dr. Bassman filled the scratches on his HB bass with CA glue. OTOH, nail polish is simple and has its attractions, especially if I want to remove it and try again.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:26:49 PM by Pilgrim »

nofi

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »
i'd use a sharpie as well. acchem's razor.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 02:32:45 PM »
Bought my wife one of those little Gretsches when she was learning to play bass, she didn't, and it's been sitting in its gigbag in the closet for several years now.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »
Occam's Razor - a good principle.  Roughly translated, K.I.S.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 08:53:16 PM »
I bought the same bass when my daughter thought she wanted to play - she didn't.

Still I put an extra light set of Rotosounds on it, gave the truss rod a tweak, did a basic setup and the thing played like butter.  Seems like I got about $175 for it when I sold it a few years back.