Author Topic: More vintage Gretsch  (Read 6228 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: More vintage Gretsch
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »
A pretty bass.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 03:54:18 AM »
AU $2,595.00 BIN... LOL
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:18:55 AM »
I know ilan, this is Australia, if we even slightly think its rare (old will qualify) we think it must be  worth a fortune  :rolleyes:
Digresion our specialty!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
Hey, I'm in Israel, I know what you're talking about... but since Gbase and eBay, I don't buy basses locally anymore.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:58 AM »
AU $2,595.00 BIN... LOL

I don't know what they usually go for but that seems way high to me. AFAIK these have never been well regarded and they don't have anything resembling the traditional Gretsch look.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »
I think it's a nice looking bassguitar. I don't know how hight the australian dollar is at? The shop who offers it has some more nice ones i nstock.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:50:24 AM »
I don't know what they usually go for but that seems way high to me. AFAIK these have never been well regarded and they don't have anything resembling the traditional Gretsch look.

Clearly a Gretsch interpretation of the P.  Pretty, though!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rocker949

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:50:51 AM »
Clearly a Gretsch interpretation of the P.  Pretty, though!

It is pretty.  All Gretsch basses look pretty except for the Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird.  I'd love to have one because I'm sure it's a great bass, but it has to be one of the ugliest basses I've ever seen. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
It is pretty.  All Gretsch basses look pretty except for the Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird...

Have you ever seen the Gretsch Committee Bass ? Uuuugly. The TK300 Bass? Triple uuuugly. And those represent a good portion of Gretsch bass production before the modern (Fred Gretsch Jr.) era. Gretsch makes very few basses now and even fewer back then.

This one may sound good, I don't know. But even the traditional looking 6070-6073 series basses don't fetch high prices in the vintage market. I can't imagine anyone paying anywhere near the asking price of this one.

Rocker949

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:04:09 AM »
Have you ever seen the Gretsch Committee Bass ? Uuuugly. The TK300 Bass? Triple uuuugly. And those represent a good portion of Gretsch bass production before the modern (Fred Gretsch Jr.) era. Gretsch makes very few basses now and even fewer back then.

This one may sound good, I don't know. But even the traditional looking 6070-6073 series basses don't fetch high prices in the vintage market. I can't imagine anyone paying anywhere near the asking price of this one.

Maybe I did get carried away when I said all Gretsch basses were pretty except for the Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird.  In general, though, I do like the look of Gretsch basses. 

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 06:09:59 PM »
I just bought a 1975  7606 (the sunburst version) - may not be well regarded - but it plays beautifully. Like it more than my 68 pbass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 08:44:40 AM »
I just bought a 1975  7606 (the sunburst version) - may not be well regarded - but it plays beautifully. Like it more than my 68 pbass.

As the old saying goes....pictures!!!!!  (Etc.)

And to my eye, the Gretsch Committee bass looks a whole lot like a Guild B301. Granted, not a classic Gretsch look, but not bad looking to me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
That's it. Its heavy but it plays like butter. fantastic instrument.

Watched the ad for months and after I couldn't take it any more & bit the bullet. It went missing in the mail for over 2 weeks.  Post Office was actually processing the insurance when it finally showed up.

I play it 4 hours a day after work every day since I got it. Can't put it down.

And the Committee is a great bass.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:42:45 AM by 7615 »