Author Topic: The way of the future!  (Read 1652 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
The way of the future!
« on: February 21, 2008, 04:59:15 AM »
I went to buy a camcorder for work yesterday and discovered that Camcorders are all going Hard Drive and thus will eliminate the Mini DV format that has been in use for the last 15 years?

Also the Camcorders are pretty much USB and thus will kill FireWire.

My business partner's Jeep came with a MY Gig stereo, which now elimnates an Ipod & CD's

The world moves on

Oh and Blue Ray won!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: The way of the future!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
I read that Apple's new ultra-thin laptop doesn't even have a Firewire port. If that's correct, you know its days are numbered, since Apple was its biggest advocate.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:55:56 AM »
No firewire of CD/DVD drive.

I believe firewire is goins away now that eSATA is now supposed to be the fastest ?

Firewire 800 never caught on either.

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:49:57 PM »
I am pretty sure that the way more expensive camcorders will still offer MiniDV.

They are going with harddrives in them now probably because people do not want to juggle a bunch of tapes these days.

Blu-ray needed HD-DVD to get those friggin' prices down and HD-DVD was the more consumer friendly HD format being the price it was. HD-DVD was also pretty much completed when they released it unlike Blu-ray which lacked online support which I think they are still working on actually.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:39:11 PM »
I've never found Firewire to be any faster than USB 2.0. I like having the tapes because they're a great storage medium and I always have a back up. I've been considering getting an HD camcorder in the next year as finances permit. I'm gonna be bummed if I can't get one that uses tape.

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:14:15 PM »
George, chances are you will be able to get a HD camcorder within the next 2 years.

Besides, professional grade ones will probably have tapes longer than regular consumer ones.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 05:33:29 AM »
Heck a lot of TV stations still broadcast shows on 3/4" Tape.

I find at work we never go back to the tapes, they just become clutter. We save video projects on back up drives &  DVD's (which are not  "foreverer") anyway.