Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Carr amps?  (Read 1200 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Anyone familiar with Carr amps?
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:00:20 AM »
My guitar player has quite a collection of amplifiers , about a dozen I guess. He has about a half a dozen keepers and then a buy and sell bunch.
He picked up an 8 watt Carr, Mercury amp a couple of months ago in St. Louis and I'm very impressed with this thing . It's a boutique piece and he won't even tell me what he paid for it, but at 8 watts this thing is incredible . It's a real vintage looking tube amp with a single 12" speaker and it's 8 watts are on par with just about anything(excluding Marshall) at 50 to 60 watts.
He's been on a quest for the perfect tube sound for a couple of years now and he thinks he's got it. I think he might be right. He has burned through several boutique amps including a couple of Brunos in the 30 to 45 watt range that were really nice too , another Carr and a couple I can't remember.

All were pretty pricey stuff and all sounded really good but the problem was turning them down and getting the sound right. This little Carr at 8 freakin'
watts keeps up with my Seymour Duncan 400 watt bass amp set at 10-11 o'clock, a 60 watt solid state Crate, and a drum set with a mic on the bass.
Playing it dirty, he could probably stick with me up to 12 o'clock . Playing clean it needs a litttle help to get maximum volume and he uses a Barker Launch Pad pedal which works quite well. To go out and gig, that 8 watts would work for a lot of rooms but it would be borderline and would be best with a mic.
He had another Carr for a real short time that was more powerful, but to him , didn't sound as good and was harder to control , so he took a loss on it and traded for the 8 watt model.
Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience with these things. I'm kinda questioning my sanity at my amazement with this little 8 watt wonder  :o ;D
Rick

nofi

Re: Anyone familiar with Carr amps?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
go to carramps.com for all the poop. :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »

$2150 is a lot of poop!  ;D

That price doesn't seem unusually high for a boutique amp. If it's got the sound for him, I suppose it's worth it. I've never heard one that I know of.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »

Nyuk,nyuk :mrgreen:
Yeah, it's pricey piece. I just wondered if anyone else was familiar with them. The sound is definately great but the amount of volume that comes out of 8 watts is beyond anything I've ever encountered.  I always thought that Marshall and Hiwatt used larger watts than all the other guys, but the boys at Carr have without a doubt found some thermo-nuke whopper watts  :o
Rick