Author Topic: Spector Rebop 4 DLX  (Read 2677 times)

angrymatt

• View Profile
Spector Rebop 4 DLX
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:56:47 PM »
I played a used one at GC yesterday.  OMG, I don't think I've ever played a bass that I would actually describe as, "buttery," before.  Are the cheaper Asian counterparts to this delicious Czech monster any good?
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

PhilT

• View Profile
Re: Spector Rebop 4 DLX
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »
Don't know, but I recently got a pre-2004 Czech Rebop 5 on eBay for $450 and that smokes. It's not pretty and you probably wouldn't want it in a pop or country band, but in a rock context it's great fun, and great value I think.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:49:58 AM »
Hey Phil, I got one almost exactly like yours last night off the evilbay.  Should be here in a week or so.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:38:05 AM »
I think I was watching that, just to check if the price I paid was typical. Good score, hope you like it.

angrymatt

• View Profile
Re: Spector Rebop 5
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »
Well, I got it in, and playing alone in my living room I love the thing.  Took it to band practice last night for the first time.  Wow that wide neck takes some getting used to.  And to borrow a phrase a friend of mine pointed out, the B string is commanding, "You will deal with me!"

This is my first experience with a 5 string beyond picking them up in music stores sometimes.  I'm hoping I get for comfortable with it, I really want to use this one more than my Thunderchicken.  I'm kinda hard on my instruments, and tend to play some really crappy bars, so I want to minimize wear, tear, and theft of the Bird.
angrymatt, the lurk

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:45:04 AM »
I like the neck, but I've got long fingers and anything smaller on a 5 feels very cramped. Only thing I've changed is when I put straplocks on, I moved the bridge end button to the middle of the body, because where it was I was catching my right hand on the end of the strap.