Author Topic: '62 RI Jazz has landed !  (Read 2355 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
'62 RI Jazz has landed !
« on: February 19, 2008, 05:40:36 PM »
My Jazz quest continues ! Right out of the case this bass feels better to me than the American standard. Love the neck, quite different than the AS, seems slimmer. Also I don't think this neck has the stiffing rods of the new basses, the '62 seems to just have more resonance, it just seems more alive. I gave the bass a quick set up and am very happy with how low I can get things. No complaints on QC Fender seems to be miles a head of Gibson it that respect. The three tone sunburst is quite subduded, almost like they forgot the yellow, I'll have to see it in day light. I don't mind a plain Jane really because it plays fantastic!  Pics to come !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: '62 RI Jazz has landed !
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:40:48 PM »
Scott, is this an American Vintage series? I thought you were talking about the MIM 60s J.

If it's an American Vintage, the neck profile is slimmer and it doesn't have stiffening rods.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »
Sounds like a winner, Scott! I forgot about those rods... I have a couple of '62 reissue replacement necks and they're my favorite Fender neck ever.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:52:34 AM »
 I was thinking of a MIM 60's J but I bought a American Vintage '62. So far nice bass.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »
 Well I got a good look at the finish this morning, the center of the burst should be yellow/amber and it is sort of pinky/brown, it really does look like they forgot the yellow. I'm bumming cause it plays great but I'm going to send it back, lets see what another one looks like.