Author Topic: Springtime for ... (no, not him) ... my luthier!  (Read 4017 times)

Blazer

Re: Springtime for ... (no, not him) ... my luthier!
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 07:23:21 PM »
"THEN WHY DID YOU PUT THEM ON YOUR EARLY BASSES IN THE FIRST PLACE?"  The poor lad most likley was not even born before 1970, how could he possibly understand ?  Flat wounds didn't ( don't) have much tension the banjo tuners were barley able to handle those. I once years ago put Roto sounds on my Hofner, could barley tune it. Hofies suffer from broken tuners I suspect in part to the introduction of round wounds, the necks couldn't take them either. Hope you can save it. I don't think I'd pay more than $1,500 for it and I'd have to want it real bad.

Which is also why Paul McCartney started to use his Rickenbacker as his main bass. It stayed in tune better and was easier to intonate than the Hofner.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 09:27:42 AM »
For us European guys the Dollar is very cheap. Only five years ago or so, if you bought a 1.000 dollar bass on eBay it was almost 1.500 euros. Plus 250 to 300 for taxes, another 100 for transport. Almost 2.000 euro's. Nowadays a 1.000 dollar bass staus under the 1.000 euros including taxes and transport!

And of course prices of USA Gibbies and F****rs stay the same in shops....

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
And of course prices of USA Gibbies and F****rs stay the same in shops....

Yeah, funny how that works, isn't it.