Author Topic: Thunderbird Pickguards  (Read 12927 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Thunderbird Pickguards
« on: January 12, 2008, 01:44:56 PM »

Soo.....

I recently changed my white '89 'Bird over to all CHROME hardware (yes, in defiance to you Uwe!)
Its pretty much back together and to give it a new look I'm wanting a new pickgaurd for it.
So I'd enjoy everyone's thoughts, links to sellers, websites whatever.
Thanks guys.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rockinrayduke

Re: Thunderbird Pickguards
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 01:49:30 PM »
A clear pg with the Bird logo on it..........mmmmmm. ;D Or black.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »
Hey, how about a picture? I have a white TB that I've been thinking about changing over too, although the tuxedo look is a nice change from my other chromed birds.

I bought the pickguard for my 2003 TB projetct off eBay.  I think I paid about $35 or so.  A good deal for a Gibson product!  WD makes nice guards but no logos.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 11:16:36 PM »
 Speaking of pickguards....does anyone have a line on the 'bird logo ( transfer? hotstamp? ) there was talk a few Pits ago (sorry), and then more talk of copywright issues.
 I've got a nice blank guard ( correct thickness from jeannie pickguards ) but no bird for my pelham blue Orville. I have a pretty nice late model guard which won't fit any of my Orvi, if anyone needs a replacement ( Dave & Uwe feel free to remove this to a gear for trade/sale section if needed )
 Mark, you could always put a black ( plastic  ;D ) guard on, for Uwes' sake, it would look pretty cool on white/chrome. A chrome applique' bird would be nice. Or I can see the clear with a chrome bird........hmmmmm.

S.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 11:36:18 PM »

I'll have some in-process shots to post in a day or so, I was thinking to at least try to get a black Gibson one like those on the Zebrabird's. I'd also thought of trying (with John's permission) to mask off and airbrush one of his original bird designs that he had posted on DPv? .......So I'm still lookin'  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 11:37:01 PM »
I wonder, is the Thunderbird image available as clipart? If not, you could probably find something very close.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »
I wonder, is the Thunderbird image available as clipart? If not, you could probably find something very close.

I think so, most logos are, vinyl sign companies have all the Gibson and Fender logos, maybe not the 'bird though. I've used them before as paint masks for redoing the gold silkscreen logos on some repairs. If you are in good with someone at a vinyl sign shop, they may be able to do a mask from an image.

Here would be an example..... Paint masks over silver flake

Trans pink coat masks removed

Mostly finished more trans pink overall

Sort of extreme examples, but you could certainly get a vinyl mask to do a 'bird or iron cross or ????????

Keep us posted.

S.
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
 That Rick....effn' rules!, I wondered how you did that, its a great easy way to mask something...crap I was gonna cut something out by hand.......I'll get some machine to do it!
When you've got time I'm sooo sending you my Greco TBII
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:16:50 PM by TBird1958 »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 05:35:03 AM »
John allowing, we could use his brilliant Buzzard logo for a couple of pickguards from Jeanies. I'd certainly have an interest in two or three. That would take care of any intellectual property issues there might be with the original TBird logo and if we order a larger number we might get a discount on them.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »
I believe that Gibson's Tbird logo is a hot stamp?  How I don't know.  I do know that Jeanine's said that there were legal issues with an exact reproduction - I would think especially if sold for profit.

As far as vinyl goes - if someone made an accurate scan - say as a TIFF format , then this could be taken to sign shop that would convert the TIFF format (raster) to VECTOR type format ( think Autocad or CNC langauge ).  Once the file is converted it's ready to cut.  If someone has this done make sure that you get the VECTOR file format - some places will keep this file and force you to only use them.  If you had the file the vinyl could be cut anywhere.

You may have to hunt for someone that has the application to convert Raster to Vector - many sign shops just have tons of preloaded images and fonts that they use.  When you see a minivan with sticker on the back glass that says "Bubba" under a soccer ball then you know what I'm talking about.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 10:52:23 AM »
All I know is, I can't find the logo as clipart to save my life. I wanted to find it and send it to my tat guy ahead of time so when I'm ready for my TB tat he is too. But like Mark told me I'll just have to scan one of my pickguards I guess.

Or I could get a tat that says "Bubba" under a soccer ball........ ;D ;D

OK, I did find this......on the Gibson Bass page IIRC.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:30:03 AM by rockinrayduke »

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »
Speaking of pickguards....does anyone have a line on the 'bird logo ( transfer? hotstamp? )

I have an old blank pickguard that needs a bird logo too.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »
This is the Ebay store where I bought my carbon fiber pickguard & trc.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Guitar-Parts-Center_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

He told me he would do one with the bird in any material he had. The bird on this one is done from underneath. Based on mine, if he uses the same way on all of them then the bird could be any color. Of course mine might be made different because of the materials.

BTW, he sell Epi & Gibson trc's for other models as well, so if you don't like the $$$$ bass trc, you could get a repro from him.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 05:38:18 AM »
This is the Ebay store where I bought my carbon fiber pickguard & trc.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Guitar-Parts-Center_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

He told me he would do one with the bird in any material he had. The bird on this one is done from underneath. Based on mine, if he uses the same way on all of them then the bird could be any color. Of course mine might be made different because of the materials.

BTW, he sell Epi & Gibson trc's for other models as well, so if you don't like the $$$$ bass trc, you could get a repro from him.

I bought one from him awhile back and I thought it was pretty good.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 08:04:38 AM »
I got that carbon fiber pickguard for my tbird, but he said he needed a tracing for the trc.  Does he make them now?  I never got around to tracing my trc and sending it to him (holidays got a hold of me, my time, and my wallet).
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage