Author Topic: Krautrock, screaming Leslies, and a nice 335 sound - not Frumpy at all!  (Read 3192 times)

chromium

• View Profile
I'd never heard of this band before, but came across them in a quest for more Hammond pr0n (one of my many guilty pleasures)

Nice bluesy/proggie/heavy sound.  Love the meaty tone of the 335(?) soloing at 3:18 too.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 04:04:49 PM by chromium »

nofi

Re: Krautrock, screaming Leslies, and a nice 335 sound - not Frumpy at all!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »
in places it reminds me a bit of quatermass.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:38:11 AM »
Carsten Bohn, I love this guys drumming! Not given enough recognition IMHO. I have an LP called "By the way" by Frumpy. Very cool stuff. Inga Rumpf is still going strong and from what I've seen on the tube her voice has only continued to improve.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:00:57 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:56:18 AM »
Good Stuff!
Ain't nothin' better than the warm sound of a Hammond organ and a Leslie wound up and pushing hard 8).
One of the guys I jam with on a semi- regular basis repairs organs for a living and he has a 1957 Hammond C-3 that he built from the ground up, and it is "Hammond Perfection". This thing has been dubbed "The Queen" and jam nights at his house have drawn some absolute monster keyboard players who just can't wait to get their hands on the Queen.
Rick

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:31 PM »
Good Stuff!
Ain't nothin' better than the warm sound of a Hammond organ and a Leslie wound up and pushing hard 8).
One of the guys I jam with on a semi- regular basis repairs organs for a living and he has a 1957 Hammond C-3 that he built from the ground up, and it is "Hammond Perfection". This thing has been dubbed "The Queen" and jam nights at his house have drawn some absolute monster keyboard players who just can't wait to get their hands on the Queen.
Rick

Nothing like the sound of those big consoles thru a Leslie!

I just picked up a '55 M3 spinnet off CL for next to nuthin', and that thing's a blast:

After looking over the schematics and mechanicals, I have to admire folks that work on em!  Holy cow - there's a lot going on in there  :o  I have to fix the percussion effect on mine (the clicky sound heard in that clip above).

rahock

• View Profile
The  Hammond portables are nice and there are some pretty nice synth Hammond sounds but there is nothing like that big old hunk -o- wood console with a Leslie. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the M-3 , B-3 and C-3. The C-3 is a freakin monster though, weighing in at about 485 lbs. NOBODY wants to move it , but EVERYBODY wants to play it.
Whatever, I love 'em all :)
I just started getting together with the Hammond crew about two years ago, after not seeing any of these guys for fifteen years or so . It had been that long since I'd gotten together with anyone playing a REAL wooden Hammond. Not only had I forgotten how much better they sounded than the portables, but I had also forgotten the smell. I absolutely love the way those Leslies smell when they start to heat up. That warm woody smell just works to compliment that warm woody sound. Having a little something else organic burning in the background helps too  ;)

BTW: Nice score on the M-3. It looks great. They never die either. Anything that breaks can be fixed and don't let anybody tell you different 8)
Check out www.hicksorganservice.net . My buddy Don is a great guy and he really knows his stuff. Although he is in Michigan, he has a Link so you can find qualified repair techs in your area. You don't want some hack working on that beautiful piece of yours :o
Rick
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:59:26 AM by rahock »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Cool band.

I saw Bernie Worrel with Les Claypool on their Bucket Of Bernies Brains tour and Worrel had a big Hammond organ and Leslie set up that sounded amazing. It has a HUGE rig. I can't imagine transporting it.

Bernie was amazing as well.

chromium

• View Profile
Cool- I liked Bernie Worrell with Funkadelic and the Talking Heads.  He also popped up in that "Deep End" project w/ Govt Mule.

Here's another good clip of a big console.  This is a C-3 like the one Rick's buddy has:

Wish I could play like that!  I'm doing my best just to get both hands going, let alone walking bass on the pedals.  Its Hammond amature night over here! ;D

Not only had I forgotten how much better they sounded than the portables, but I had also forgotten the smell.

I agree about the woody smell!  Mine also smells like oil when it heats up.  It's almost be like having an old car in the house - hit the starter motor, let it turn over, flip the run switch, grind some gears, burn some oil...  ;D