Author Topic: Early 80s Precision Specials  (Read 6625 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Early 80s Precision Specials
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:08:11 AM »
Nice basses ! there is a red one for sale localy, they want 800 for it seems like a deal to me
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

audiorep2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
$ 800.00 for a US made P bass, and a fancy one is a very good price.

Bart!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:31:18 AM »
Nice bass family!
Are these all the colors that were produced?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »
My first good bass was a brand new red '80 Precision Special. I put in on layaway and paid it off $20 at a time in tenth grade. It was a great bass, though it suffered the same finish issues I've seen in most other red specials (the red would flake off in spots, exposing the gold underlayer).

A few months after I finally got the bass, I made the mistake of reading a Gene Simmons interview in (I think) Guitar Player magazine. In it, he expressed his disdain for all things P Bass, and it ended up bothering me so much that I sold the bass later that year. Sounds lame now, but I was an impressionable young KISS nerd. The seller's remorse I felt as my basses new owner drove away is soomething I can still feel when I think about it today! I ended up buying a used '77 BC Rich Eagle with the money I got, and I added a black '76 Thunderbird not long after that, so my GAS exploits started at a young age!

Bastard!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
LMAO Damn you Gene !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
I remember when they were new, and I thought they looked pretty cool.  A lot cooler than the Lead guitars at about the same time.  But I preferred the rosewood board with the painted headstock, and I never saw one with rosewood until years later. 

I could only afford an amp then.  And Kiss Alive II.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Blazer

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »

Bastard!
It was his back up bass. But to his credit though he sold it to buy the Spector Custom bass he played for YEARS.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
 :) Once I proved to my folks that I was going to stick with it, over a year I believe, I dumped my little 5th hand Tiesco and I got new Ripper for Christmas - only because of Mr. Simons - I didn't know crap about basses ;D

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 03:01:17 AM »
Nice bass family!
Are these all the colors that were produced?

There was a Walnut P Special. Walnut body, neck and fretboard, b/w/b pickguard and no thumb-rest.

There were some one-offs, I've seen pics of P Specials in Sienna burst and one in Charcoal metallic. But standard colors were CAR, LPB, Arctic White, and Walnut. Most had maple boards but some had rosewood. I owned for a brief period a LPB/rosewood, but sold it back to the original owner because it was too heavy. In '81 high mass was in vogue.

I still have a new old stock P Special PC board and wiring harness, one day I will install it in a light weight P.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »
I still have a new old stock P Special PC board and wiring harness, one day I will install it in a light weight P.

I have one and plan on doing the same thing!

Hutton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »
I don't think that my 83 is a 'special' edition but it's a great bass all the same.
Gibson IV Bass 1987
Fender Precision American Standard 1983
Fender Precision USA 62 Reissue 2006
Musicman SUB 4 2004

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 02:54:31 PM »
My second bass wass a Precision Special. Nice bass and quite heavy. I'm not too fond of active electronics but that preamp did well. However I sold it about 4 years ago. An old pic of me playing that bass with a broken wrist. Had to learn playing fingerstyle on short notice because of the injury:

audiorep2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 09:12:06 AM »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 04:02:30 PM »

NICE!