Author Topic: New 2009 Grabber II and, yes, even the Ripper!  (Read 48895 times)

doombass

• View Profile
New 2009 Grabber II and, yes, even the Ripper!
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »
Looks like there will be a limited run of the Gibson Grabber (one LP TB plus pickup):

Click on New Releases and then Limited Run Series and you'll see the pic. No info yet though.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA.aspx

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:58:00 PM by uwe »

Blazer

Re: New 2009(?) Gibson Grabber !!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »

"It’s full of flexibility so the artist can choose his own personal playing action as well as his personal sound with a patented sliding pickup.” – Gibson catalog, circa 1975

The introduction of the original Gibson Grabber bass in 1973 caught the attention of bassists around the world. Its sleek design was matched ever so smoothly by its thick, heavy and well-defined tone, and thousands of players found its versatility very hard to ignore, including the likes of Gene Simmons of KISS, Mike Dirnt of Green Day and Krist Novoselic of Nirvana. The model has been out of the Gibson catalog since 1982, but it is back again — briefly — thanks to the introduction of the Grabber II, now available as part of Gibson USA’s 2009 Limited Run Series guitars. Today’s Grabber II bass stay true to the model’s production years of 1973-75 with its arrow-shaped, Flying V-inspired headstock, bell-shaped truss rod cover and Gibson-designed sliding humbucking pickup, which allows players to slide the pickup between the end of the neck and the bridge and fine-tune the frequency response of the instrument. Its 34½-inch scale length also remains identical, yielding the same low, resonant response as the original model. The large “shamrock” button tuners and chunky, three-point adjustable bridge are back as well, as is the simple one-volume, one-tone control setup. The Grabber II also emulates the original in its use of a thin maple body, as used on the first Grabbers until the change to alder wood in 1975, which contributes to the bass’ excellent tonal clarity and punch. The Limited Run Series Grabber II also utilizes Gibson’s traditional glued-in set maple neck with a 20-fret rosewood fingerboard, which enhances the bass’ tonal quality and sustain. The back of the neck also sports a natural satin finish that makes it one of the fastest, most playable necks on any Gibson guitar.  All in all, this “rediscovered” Gibson bass offers the heavy, rocking tones of the ’70s in an instrument crafted for 21st century playability. Each new Grabber II comes with its own Limited Series Run customized certificate of authenticity and a black Gibson hardshell case with plush white interior and silkscreened Gibson USA logo.
Not entirely accurate what they say here. Mike Dirnt played a G3 and Krist Novoselic used Rippers.

This new Grabber has a glued in neck, which when added to the three point bridge, effectively makes it a Ripper with a Grabber pickup.

But I think it looks cool, with the exception of that sharp edged headstock shape and those overly large tuners.

The original style looked much better in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:40:11 PM by Blazer »

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »
I like it but, forgive me - I almost like the original black plastic pickup better than the chrome :sad: :sad:

I wish that the headstock had been faithfullly reproduced as well.  The set neck is probably going to run the price up too.

At least there's hope for the NR Bird release.

nofi

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:39:39 PM »
i've always thought that sliding plastic pickup was so cheesy. but everything old is new again so if the price is right they will probably sell. i tried a few when they first came out and was not impressed. i bought a used ripper instead.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »

BLACK and CHROME!

What's not love?!?!?!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:40:46 AM »
I like it:)

But why does Gibson puts the chrome pick ups on the wrong basses? Put this one on a bird and a black one on this. But I still like it very much!

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:48:04 AM »
That one looks just like my own black Ripper, which I rebuilt a few years ago with a black T-bird pup. I guess the only difference is the Ripper head (thanks Gibson! The Grabber head is no beauty!).

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:59:07 AM »
Wow I like it.
The chrome pickup looks good to me. Although he four screws that attach it to the sliding plate make it looks like a home made solution. And I don't understand why they placed the machines heads under an angle.
But still a pretty bass.
Of course it will flop big time (in the Gibson tradition). It will only make the bass more desirable for geeks like us.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:05:56 AM »
Wow, looks fantastic!
Half-speed Hawkwind

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:14:58 AM »
I'd prefer an old-style headstock with 3 chrome TBs. Not sliding.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:49:23 AM »
For a modern reissue I'd expect they'd use a new bridge like on the Epi Ripper.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 03:54:18 AM »
Nothing to nitpick here at all, this is a great and daring reissue, basically a Ripper with the more agressive Grabber electronics brought into this new millenium with TB Plus pups. Pretty much a combo of everything I like on Ripper and Grabber respectively, minus what I don't like. I've ordered one (though price is quite hefty for the reissue of Gibson's once budget bass!).

Also, the first non mahogany bass by Gibson since the nineties. Is history repeating itself? Are RD and Victory reissues up next?  ;D

Great find, Daniel, thanks!

Uwe

PS: I find the headstock variation and slanted tuners chic and different.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:00:07 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 04:30:04 AM »
In the worst case they'll send you the prototype Uwe. Strange that this beast wasn't at the NAMM. I hope we can see it at the Messe.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 05:15:30 AM »
Thank god they didn't black out the hardware, the chrome looks stunning against the black finish! I really like it ! I have not one bad thing to say.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 05:18:51 AM »
Ok I have one bad thing to say..........................$3,192 msrp for a Grabber !  :o Holy cats makes my '78 Grabber seem like a bargin at $450.00
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird