Author Topic: Close call- chimney fire  (Read 5159 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Close call- chimney fire
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »
 Last night about 7:30 we had a chimney fire, super f'ng scary. I clean the chimney and stove every year, take pride in in being very cautious and safe. Everyone got out safe, thankfully our daughter was not home at the time, we have not kept it from her but certainly played it down. With the help of a friend I pulled the chimney and patched up the roof today. Next weekend I'm taking out the stove and ripping up the hearth. The fire department was nothing short of amazing. A few more min. and the fire would have spread past the metal chimney to to the structure. The flames were shooting out of the chimney, embers falling all over the roof, Looked like Mt. Visuvius .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:45:25 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Close call- chimney fire
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »

Pretty scary stuff Scott, glad to hear your family is safe! *Almost*  anything else could be replaced.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 06:43:09 PM »
Wow Scott, I'm glad you guys are OK (and your house)! Sounds like your FD is a blessing. Heroes once again!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 07:39:13 PM »
That's scary, knowing that it happened despite keeping your chimney clean.

Glad you're all safe.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
glad everyone is safe and your house is not too bad damaged

Rvl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »
Glad everything is ok

My neighbor cleans his every month
He uses his wood stove everyday and burns carpenter scraps and torn down house scraps

I havent got a wood stove yet.....but will be getting one......my heating costs are $400/month and thats only with 4 rooms heated and the rest unheated

Thanks

Robert

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:28:52 PM »

Whoa!

my heating costs are $400/month and thats only with 4 rooms heated and the rest unheated

What part of the country!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »
I'm gold to hear that you house is, relatively, in tact and that the family is safe.

Chimney fires scare me *hitless!  I didn't even know that this could happen until I took a night job twenty years ago and a fellow moonlighter was a chimney sweep in the daytime.  He told me all about this in great detail and he ranted about the cheap double chimneys that builders were putting on in the tract houses on top of even cheaper prefab metal fireboxes.

He cursed the "wax" logs and couldn't believe how many people burnt pine and such in their fireplaces - both he said were the number cause of chimney fires down here - like anyone in Houston, TX has any damn business with a fireplace.

What about one of those hightech gas stoves?  A buddy of mine from Binghamton can heat his entire 1700 sq foot house with one in his basement.  I mean this thing is small - like if were real it would maybe hold three sticks of firewood.  This thing has a glass door on it and the fake coals and embers - looks very real.  Said it cut his heating bill in half when he installed it.  Totally closed combustion and very effecient.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »

Whoa!

my heating costs are $400/month and thats only with 4 rooms heated and the rest unheated

What part of the country!

Head south in the summer time.  People with older homes routinely will pay that to run the AC during the worst of summer.  There are a lot people in my area that were crying big time last summer - seems that the 5000 sq foot house they could cool for $300 a few summers back is now costing them $750!! Plus they have the thermostat set higher than they would like.  Meanwhile my little tract house was nice and cool for $300 :P

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »

Wow Again!
That is some serious $$$$ for heating/cooling, it's been a somewhat cold winter here and my combined gas and eletricity bill tops at $150.00. I have a/c and run it in the summer because my house faces West, maybe $90.00! That's just obscene! I don't know about anybody else, but I usually like a kiss before I getF****d. 
I'm just stunned!

BTW Scott, still glad you're safe!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »
Mark: Rvl is in Tokyo or thereabouts. Things are ever so slightly more expensive there.  ;)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »
Glad this had a "happy" ending for you & your family. Could have been much worse. You have a beautiful home BTW.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 02:19:44 AM »
Glad you & your family & your home & your basses are ok, Scott! :D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 07:03:34 AM »
 Thanks for all your replies guys. I'm feeling better today. I pulled the chimney and buttoned up the roof with a contractor friend of mine yesterday, next weekend I'll pull the stove and hearth. I am thinking of a gas hearth. I have a nice period mantle sitting in the barn for just such a purpose. Cleaning every month is a great idea but difficult to do on a snow covered roof. I'm done burning. Boy is this going to free up a lot of time ! No more splitting stacking wood, hauling it to the house, cleaning the stove and chimney etc. On the way out of the house I did grab my '69 NR and my Jim Lea bass along with my brother in laws '64 Thunderbird. The fire department was standing by with hoses charged in the house waiting for the fire to spread from the chimney to the structure, thankfully it never did. Our house is a landmark, we had the town put it on the roster a few years ago, I have spent 15 years restoring the place, I can't belive I almost burned it down.  I can not say enough about The Chili N.Y. Volunteer Fire Department, Thanks to them we have our home. Heros one and all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 07:35:15 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 10:25:32 AM »
Holy crap! I go on vacation to St. Louis to see my daughter and your have a fire!  I'm really glad you guys are all OK.  Wish I could give you a hand.  We're off to South Carolina to see our son tomorrow.   take care!   I'll touch base when we get back.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!