Author Topic: SXSXSXSX  (Read 24269 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: SXSXSXSX
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
How stable are the necks on the SX basses? I've thought about picking one up to play around with, but the price point always scares me a little.

I've had 3 that I've played with so far (all P bass styles). I am no luthier or Instrument tech but I used the SX's to learn and get used to doing a whole bunch of things that I would never have been game to attempt on my more expensive basses. Neck setups, nuts, truss rod adjustment etc.

2 of them were very stable and solid, quite easy with a little practice to get right. The 3rd had quite a ropey neck and was really good for learning how to get my saddle height/neck tension/action all balanced etc. Once I had it dialed in, it has remained stable since and plays nicely.

These 3 necks feel way too good for the price to be honest. Almost makes you feel guilty for enjoying it so much.
Digresion our specialty!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »
I have one of those natural finish '75 Jazz knockoffs. I'm not crazy about the neck and the pickups sound a little thin but it's still fun to play.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 03:17:52 PM »
I love my SX. I don't just own an SX bass, but an electric and acoustic guitar.

It's the tiger flame P-bass with the covers I added later.

I really want one of these though to have a Jazz-like something in my arsenal.

Are you real, Frank!?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »
I gotta admit to having looked more than twice at those pbrocker56. At $150 how far wrong can you go? The shape has strangely grown on me
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 05:23:28 PM »
I notice that Rondo have reduced the range of basses from their website,including the SJMB range.
Digresion our specialty!

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:01 PM »
Can't go wrong at 150, but being a poor college student out of a job, I cannot afford it :sad:

Not yet at least....

Oh yeah, they don't seem to have as many. But it's likely that Kurt is getting ready for a spring shipment and is just waiting for all the old stuff to clear out.

I hope the Jag bass sticks around though.
Are you real, Frank!?

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »
I'm considering buying the pirate bass, on account of how ridiculous it looks, as my knock around bass during my deployment.  Of course, I have to wait and see if I'm actually going to have any real free time on this one.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 12:10:54 AM »
I think the free scarfe that comes with it is totally enough of a reason to buy it ;)

Digresion our specialty!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 05:58:20 AM »
I think the free scarfe that comes with it is totally enough of a reason to buy it ;)

That was what I was thinking too!! ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT