Author Topic: Grabber article in Bass Player  (Read 2034 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Grabber article in Bass Player
« on: February 13, 2008, 09:53:53 PM »
Saw this article listed in an email from Bass Player magazine.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/retro-rama-1974/jan-08/33209

This is the second Gibson to make it in the "retro-rama" section recently. Not too long ago there was a feature about the 60's Thunderbirds.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Grabber article in Bass Player
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 03:35:22 AM »
Nice article, but describing Gene Simmons as a "funk monster" is a bit like saying Johnny Guitar Wah Wah Watson should have replaced Ace Frehley. Of course, underneath all the make up you really wouldn't have noticed.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 03:44:43 AM »
It says 'funk monster' and not 'funk monsters' so I think it refers to the first name only.

Uwe's note: Duh, my sloppy reading!!!

This is nice too!

"The introduction of the Gibson Grabber in 1973 represented a major shift in thinking for Gibson’s bass division. The short-scale, set-neck “bass as modified guitar” concept of the EB series had fallen so far behind Fender basses in popularity that a radical change was called for."

Exact 35 years later Gibson is back to the short scale set neck bass as modified guitar SG Reissue:)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:59:36 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:53:39 AM »
I think the success of the SG RI surprised everyone, it was probably the last thing on their minds. Why a shortscale bass that juggernauted unloved by the public to a production halt in the late seventies should be popular 30 years later where the world has turned at least long scale if not even super long scale defies the projection abilities of any marketing department. And at the same time the Studio TBirds - an affordable TBird that has the looks, available even with a low B - and the Doublecut/Money (probably Gibson's most ergonomic bass ever) flounder.

Uwe

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
Yeah, but retro is in! And they always had the Epiphone sales figures to go by....

I played bass for a long time before I knew that there *were* different scales. I wonder how many people try one in a shop, only knowing they love the look... and snap one up.

I'm delighted that they have proven popular. The Tbird IV has been in continual production now for 21 years... How many years will the SG reissue last?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »
it fills a void that no one else really has, along with a look everyone likes

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
Well, SG and TB are after all the two most popular/iconic shapes Gibson basses are known for. Next in line would probably be the Grabber/Ripper/G-3 design. Flying V and Explorer are well-known too, but too radical and not bass-typical. And to the uninitiated an RD is just another TBird shape.

But the maple construction of the Grabber/Ripper/G-3s makes a Gibson reissue unlikely. They'll reissue the 20/20 first I believe.  :-X