Author Topic: Home made luthier/shop tools  (Read 101293 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: Home made luthier/shop tools
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »
 490 cfm or so.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 05:22:32 AM »
490 cfm or so.

Thanks Mike, I'll bet that was a good picture of you crawling in!  Say, I need a more powerful shop vac, do you suppose I could put a fitting on the side and do the same thing and get dual use out of it?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »
When i 1st made this it was always in the way. I kept bumping into it,which is my tendency anyway. I got used to it being in my shop  as a piece of furniture.

I use 3 shop vacs .1 is big and old and is tied into my 2" dust collection system mounted on the wall behind my equipment.it is on the other side of a wall so its quiet
 # 2 is small and I attach to my sanders and routers. stores easy,
#3 is a ridged wet dry  that I use as a vac around the shop. Its quiet and can hold a basket ball off the floor no problem. You would not want the shop vac noise, even if you get a quiet one. the air filter runs  very quiet by comparison  to a shop vac. Unless you put it in another room and pipe in from your shop with an extra hose. still a noise factor wherever you have the vac.
 If you know anyone in the home heating biz, the squirel fans they use in forced air heating systems are what you need . I could not find one at the time.  They usually junk them . A lot of home owner are upgrading to more contemporary systems for heat. Check with your local burner man and tell him you looking for a used  fan . Cant hurt . Save some $$.
 A couple times a year I usually  put the air filter on  in mid shop and  use the extensions on the shop vac, connected to the exhaust and blow the dust off the  ceiling/joists,lights and corners. leave the air cleaner on and do again in a couple hours

What are the dimensions of your shop?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:41:15 AM by shadowcastaz »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »
You need a separate dust collection system. An air cleaner is fine for what it does, but it doesn't suck up dust.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 09:42:43 AM »
yeah what Dave said.  :mrgreen:
 I get long winded some times. :rolleyes:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
yeah what Dave said.  :mrgreen:
 I get long winded some times. :rolleyes:

I hear ya both!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 03:56:30 PM »
All finished (except for a switch plate cover).  Can't wait to use it once things warm up around here!

Total cost for everything was around $210, including buffing wheels

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »
That is MAJOR buffage you have there! 

And a recent issue of the Family Handyman magazine had a short feature on a jig one can build to mount the hose of a shop-vac onto an arm which can be adjusted for dust pickup around many shop tools.  I'll take a look and see if I can scan it and post it as a PDF soon - including parts list.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »
That is MAJOR buffage you have there! 

And a recent issue of the Family Handyman magazine had a short feature on a jig one can build to mount the hose of a shop-vac onto an arm which can be adjusted for dust pickup around many shop tools.  I'll take a look and see if I can scan it and post it as a PDF soon - including parts list.

You can buy a dust hood on a stand from several sources (Woodcraft, for one). It's meant for a dust collection system but with the proper adapter it could be used with a shop vac.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 06:01:49 AM »
I agree with Dave.  A simple dust hood is a good idea and not that expensive.  I just clamp my vac hose near my work pieces when there's going to be a lot of chips flying.  Works pretty good.  I need something to collect the very fine dust that floats all over my shop when sanding or doing fine work.  That's why I'm gonna build a box like shadow's. 

Just last week I was sanding for a few minutes on a mahogany neck and didn't put a mask on.  Later that night, my lips were tingling from breathing in that dust for a very brief time.  I'm learning that I'm allergic to mahogany dust. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »
More likely you've acquired a sensitivity to it. Just hope it doesn't get worse.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »
More likely you've acquired a sensitivity to it. Just hope it doesn't get worse.

For sure.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 08:54:10 AM »
OK. I scanned the one-page article from the Family Handyman and uplodaed it to a file storage site I use. It's a PDF that should print just fine. It describes how to build a general purpose jig that allows you to use your shop-vac for many dust collection applications.

http://www.box.net/shared/ve5mhr47vr

Not too long ago, I bought one of those dust masks with twin cartridges that makes me look like a Martian - but they do work.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:18:26 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 09:41:17 AM »
Pilgrim I like the shop tip. doc ,That is a hot buffer. I think she may need a bra! :mrgreen:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 09:43:30 AM »
OK. I scanned the one-page article from the Family Handyman and uplodaed it to a file storage site I use. It's a PDF that should print just fine. It describes how to build a general purpose jig that allows you to use your shop-vac for many dust collection applications.

http://www.box.net/shared/ve5mhr47vr

Not too long ago, I bought one of those dust masks with twin cartridges that makes me look like a Martian - but they do work.

I have both dust masks and the hazardous fumes one too.  I just get lazy sometimes and don't put them on!