Author Topic: KISS Bass  (Read 7688 times)

chromium

• View Profile
KISS Bass
« on: February 13, 2008, 07:04:52 PM »
Did you KISS fans notice this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMBAT-JAPAN-REPLICA-OF-EARLY-KISS-GENE-SIMMONS-BASS_W0QQitemZ180213612200QQihZ008QQcategoryZ64402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know much about KISS, nor the bass that this is patterened after, but I have seen Combat basses on the block before - a couple of Ampeg Scroll copies that looked pretty high end (with prices to match).

Interesting bass.  All maple construction with mudbucker?  I wonder if it would sound similar to Uwe's single cutaway Ripper prototype?

marcnorth

• View Profile
Re: KISS Bass
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »
I saw that one, I think it's cool. If it were short or medium scale I would buy it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »
Uwe paid less than that for his genuine Gene Simmons Punisher Bass. Personally signed by Gene.

I don't know how close this is to what it claims to be replicating since I hardly paid any attention to them back in the day. Even if the one-of-a-kind claim is correct, it sure seems high for an unauthorized replica.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »
Dave, you're right. And while it may or may not be a quality instrument, it's not even a replica, but a similar copy at best. I know you have to be a KISS nerd to even pick up on that, but there ya go! 

HornetAMX

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
Isn't that a copy of his modified Charlie Lobue bass?  He got the original one back in '73 or so and used it on the first 3 records.  Not sure if he had a replica of his original Lobue built or modified the original one to look like this one looks.  Uwe may know the answer! ;D

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 10:33:47 PM »
I think it looks close to the original. I always thought that the "horns" weren't quite right on the original version that Gene played. Something about them just seemed wrong to me. I think the original was an ugly brown (walnut?) finish that later was pained like this copy, and then later he had studs added to the front of it.

http://dl7.glitter-graphics.net/pub/207/207727w3cwfpbgmx.jpg

http://www.afgrant.com/images/kissonline/blood3.jpg

He did the same thing with the studs on his custom Spector that he used around the Love Gun era. I thought that the Spector bass looked cool as Hell until he put the studs on it.

http://www.spectorbass.com/images/genespector.jpg

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:49:38 PM by Nokturnal »
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:36:14 PM »
I've been going through magazines, looking for stuff to throw out, and found an article on an EB-0 played by Gene. Here's a small scan:

I have higher quality (i.e., BIGGER) scans of the entire article - let me know if you want them and I can email them to you (there's 2, as-is they are 3.6 MB - I can shrink them a bit but the text is pretty small).

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »
I'd LOVE to get that article. gcarlston at hotmail dot com

Thanks!

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 01:01:27 AM »
I'd like a copy too: jpanada at infinito dot it
thanks

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 09:54:10 AM »
I messed up one of the scans I made yesterday, so I just rescanned it, and will try and email it out to you guys some time today. Also, I think I will start a thread on it in Gibson Basses. Finally, the magazine it comes from is the January 2007 issue of Vintage Guitar.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:35:37 PM »
Just got the scans in. Thanks a lot!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »