Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 223762 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2010, 07:19:56 AM »
That's Leslie's old cab. Is it the size of an SVT??? I got a 4123 from him and it RAWKS!!!! Man...Why didn't I use Hiwatt's years ago? I feel like my life has been altered for the better!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #226 on: August 25, 2010, 12:55:10 PM »
Correct Baz that is Leslie's cab. Not quite as big as a SVT but more ungainly, no tilt back casters or bar on the back. The handles are in a terrible spot, just a bitch to move around once it is on the ground.............I'd buy another in a heart beat.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 25, 2010, 01:39:42 PM »
About 2 hours ago, I just got a 1977 Hiwatt SE 320 4x12 200 Watt 16 ohm PA cabinet. I guess there were only 100 made. I figured I would have one 4x12 at rehearsal and one at home. It's 'bout the size of a V-6. But the tone.........!!!!!!!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
 a full Hiwatt rig has been a dream of mine for over 30 years. There is nothing that sounds quite so good. I'm almost there, all I need is a 4x12 for a decent price  ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:49 PM »
Me too!!! I'd love another AB 300watt 4x12!!! And maybe a DR103 as well!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #230 on: August 25, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
I would love another DR201 but the amp gods have been kind, I can't complain The Sound City 200 Plus I got for 149.00 is a close stand in.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2010, 10:55:25 AM »
Dave Reeves did a lot of design work for Sound City so architecturally they are very similar... that was a ridiculously good price by any standards... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
Here's one of my cabinets.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #233 on: August 27, 2010, 04:53:25 AM »
Luv that  cab ! I have seen pics before but never played through one, would love to get my hands on one !

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 27, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
Thanks! It's pretty cool! I would totally trade it for a regular 4x12 just because it's a pain to move but like an SVT squareback...It's awesome sounding!!! And it's got the Fanes!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »
Where did you find it ?

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2010, 02:38:56 AM »
Here's one of my cabinets.

Looks fantastic & must sound it too. Only seen one of those on Ebay in the UK & it went for peanuts, just because of the weight.

I take it you're a Cheap Trick fan?? Far too many strings for 3 basses, your music store must love seeing you walk in!!!!  :mrgreen:

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:18 AM »
Nah. Cheap Trick is ok but I'm a Robin Trower/Hendrix Fan! Besides, Petersson is WAY TOO COOL to reply to my emails. I don't like Rock Stars. Especially ones that hoard up Thunderbirds and take them out of OUR hands. How many does he need??? Rick Neilsen, Ben E. Carlos and Jon Brandt are super cool guys. Jon Brandt replaced me in Ellis Clark and the Big Parade. And then years later I replaced Jon Brandt in Kevin Lee's band. I got the cab from a cool guy named Sean who co-owns Emperor Cabinets in Chicago. I like it. But again..as I mentioned before...I would swap for a AB 4x12 cab just because of the moving factor.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:26:56 PM by Baz Cooper »

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »
Just picked this up.  I don't know the year, or how much is stock, it seems to have some aftermarket and homegrown components.   The speaker is a huge upgrade, a rare and sought after Pyle Driver! All I have on hand is an EVM15L, I may put that in and see how I like it.  Can't afford to buy a replacement speaker. 

Functionally, I have a concern, maybe somebody has experience with these amps and can help.  Is channel 1 generally quieter?  It reacts like it has an input pad, have to get the volume close to half to be as loud as channel 2 is around one quarter.  Both channels also have no volume until they are turned up a bit, channel 2 becomes audible much earlier than 1.  Is this normal?  I can take it back within a week and get it repaired free, but if it's just the way the amp's volume controls react there's nothing to repair.  The loose input jacks I can take care of myself.  I'll probably want a 3 prong power cord, but that won't be free. 

The "B12" on the circuit boards on the pots makes me wonder if the head began life as a B12;  the chassis looks aftermarket to me, newer than the rest and unmarked in the back.  But then again, I'm pretty cluless.  It sounds good though, even with the current speaker.  Had to trade in my beloved Genz Benz GBE750 to get it, but the Genz didn't have power tubes so it's not like it has a soul, or feelings or anything.

detailed pics (let me know if you can't view these - never used photobucket before):

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/Wim_M/Ampeg/

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
Just picked this up.  I don't know the year, or how much is stock, it seems to have some aftermarket and homegrown components.   The speaker is a huge upgrade, a rare and sought after Pyle Driver! All I have on hand is an EVM15L, I may put that in and see how I like it.  Can't afford to buy a replacement speaker.

The filter caps have been replaced fairly recently. I don't know if it began life as a B12, but the chassis does seem pieced together. The bottom of the amp head should have the schematic glued to it.
If the Pyle sounds good, go with it. It's a low wattage amp, and cheap speakers often go well with that.

Functionally, I have a concern, maybe somebody has experience with these amps and can help.  Is channel 1 generally quieter?  It reacts like it has an input pad, have to get the volume close to half to be as loud as channel 2 is around one quarter.  Both channels also have no volume until they are turned up a bit, channel 2 becomes audible much earlier than 1.  Is this normal?  I can take it back within a week and get it repaired free, but if it's just the way the amp's volume controls react there's nothing to repair.  The loose input jacks I can take care of myself.  I'll probably want a 3 prong power cord, but that won't be free.

The channels can vary in gain due to the input resistors drfiting with age and differences between the preamp tubes. Channel 2 is slightly quieter on mine. At any rate you could replace those old carbon comps if it really bothers you. The bright input has a 47kohm resistor. The normal uses a 100k. You'd need to replace those and the 5.6 megaohm cathode resistors tied to them to even the gain. That is provided, of course, the 6SL7's have equal transconductance.