Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 222393 times)

fealach

• View Profile
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »
Just checked out the thread, very impressive, both the bass and the work you've put into it.  My Explorer is well beyond my basic set-up skills, but I have found a luthier well worth the 2 hour commute who is interested in it.  The one thing stopping me is lack of funds.  If I can dig up some pics, I'll put it in the Gibson section with the disclaimer that it's not my fault.  That Hiwatt sounds interesting!

I'm just a common American mutt, more Scottish and Swedish than anything else, but the screen name has no bearing on that.  Irish Gaelic's probably at least pretty close, it was taken from one of Tolkien's languages and he drew on European tongues.  Picked it when I was a young nerd for Dungeons & Dragons type games, when stumped for a screen name I tend to revert to it automatically.  Used it for years an a couple other bass forums, so I figured I'd stick with it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
Got it... Failte

The Hiwatt... http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2714.0

and a nasty Marshall project that will see the light of day at some point... http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2715.0

They were both on the Plexi and attracted a lot of interest there - a regular here found me there and roped me in...

Check out Uwe's thread re Explorers and what you can do with them - currently running as House of Pain... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »
Here's my new rig...until I get my Hiwatt 4x12 this week.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »
Here's my new rig...until I get my Hiwatt 4x12 this week.

Almost like my other combination 'though I have 100 watts less, a newer SVT 8x10" and a different style body on my long scale 12-string Hamer neck.:)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »
Hamers and Hiwatts: you can't go wrong!!!

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »
Sorry about the cell-phone pic.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2010, 02:11:15 PM »
Sorry about the cell-phone pic.

Now that's what I'm talking about ! Looks like my rig ! Great minds think alike ! Is that a 2x15 or 4x12 Marshall cab ? I am dying to pickup a Hiwatt 4x12 to go with my  Hiwatt 2x15. My rig from the weekend. Usually I run two heads but I let the DR201 do all the work (we had to clear the stage asap for the next band) the SC and Hiwatt 100 were there just in case.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
Now that's what I'm talking about ! Looks like my rig ! Great minds think alike ! Is that a 2x15 or 4x12 Marshall cab ?

It's a JCM800 2 x 15".
Bought it from a hire co in London, took out the Celestions and put two Emminence Deltas in. Only thing I'm not keen on is that the Hiwatt doesn't sit too well on it. The Hiwatt has 2 skids for feet & they only just hang on the edge of the Marshall cups. The Hiwatt's last owner (after Jimmy  :mrgreen: ) had drilled it for castors, so I may take the pin holders out & put 1" rubber feet in their place.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2010, 02:20:46 PM »
Yep same cab I have and I did the exact same thing pulled the Celestions and installed Eminence Deltas.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2010, 02:37:57 PM »
What was it you said???

Great minds think alike !
:mrgreen:

Did that CD turn up this time?  ???

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2010, 02:56:45 PM »
Nothing yet............................ unless my daughter grabbed it

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »
Well..I have the '72 DR201 and the 1980 AB 4x12 cab. Should I buy another 4x12??? Hard to find Hiwatt stuff. Marshall go with the Hiwatt's ok???

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2010, 10:22:59 PM »
Nothing yet............................ unless my daughter grabbed it
:rolleyes: I was told you should have it by the w/e. As always they don't say which weekend.

Well..I have the '72 DR201 and the 1980 AB 4x12 cab. Should I buy another 4x12??? Hard to find Hiwatt stuff. Marshall go with the Hiwatt's ok???
The Hiwatt 4123 cab is great for bass, everything you'd ever want & more, it's the Fane drivers that do it. I've read that a Reeves cab in the USA is better/as good as a classic Hiwatt cab. It's always a hot topic on the Plexi Forum.
Depends what you put in a Marshall cab. I had to take the Celestions out, they were only 100w each.

That MONSTER Hiwatt cab of Scott's post is the Holy Grail of Hiwatt bassists.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2010, 05:06:45 AM »
The Marshall JCM800 cabs are a good match and a good value, all birch ply construction. Around here in good shape they go for 300 which I think is a pretty good deal.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2010, 05:08:56 AM »
:rolleyes: I was told you should have it by the w/e. As always they don't say which weekend.
The Hiwatt 4123 cab is great for bass, everything you'd ever want & more, it's the Fane drivers that do it. I've read that a Reeves cab in the USA is better/as good as a classic Hiwatt cab. It's always a hot topic on the Plexi Forum.
Depends what you put in a Marshall cab. I had to take the Celestions out, they were only 100w each.

That MONSTER Hiwatt cab of Scott's post is the Holy Grail of Hiwatt bassists.

I count myself lucky to get the Hiwatt 2150, I owned one from '78-'86 and had not seen one since I sold mine. Great sounding cabinet and a bitch to move !