Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 223467 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #585 on: September 09, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
Thanks for the input on the speakers. Reminded me to check if I should buy a spare one of those Faitals.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 14, 2017, 06:51:26 PM »
Figure I'd update. I need to grab some 4x12 or a 6x12 for the Masrhall, though it sounds great through the JBLs as well.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 16, 2017, 02:18:48 AM »
Not seen a no-entry sign here before...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 20, 2017, 05:25:59 PM »
Did some say Marshall?  :mrgreen: I cant see your pics for some reason DMN but this was my workhorse for around a decade. I had it paired with a pair of 2x15s and loved it. The cabinets are long gone sadly but I kept the head for studio use.  My days of lugging a tube amp out to bars are over I think.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 01, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »
Since I stopped gigging 5 years ago I thought that I would revisit my first rig.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #590 on: October 02, 2017, 07:51:26 AM »
Solid!
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 08, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
My first bass head , many years ago was a Marshall . When GK started to appear I picked up an RB400 , and that little thing was bulletproof .
These days I have a modular rig . Two Bergantino lightweight cabs , a HDN112 and 210 . I can use them individually or bring 'em both if things might require extra volume . And I have two main heads ( and some others tucked away) . A GenzBenz Streamliner ( just sent off to get a checkup) and a Bergantino Forte . The Liner has a three tube pre and can do that warm dark thing , the Berg is transparent and hifi clean . And despite being very different I love em both . Lightweight cabs and two Class D powerhouses . Mix and match .

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #592 on: September 08, 2020, 05:02:07 PM »
I've long been curious about Bergantino cabs, how do you like them Morrow?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 08, 2020, 06:33:54 PM »
My first Bergantino was a NV115 . It was the best sounding 15 I had ever heard . Blew me away , and then I started looking into the other Bergs . I decided to change course and go modular , and picked up a HDN 112 and 210 , sold the 15 . I can do many gigs with a single cab , and I bounce between them . The 12 does give a little more depth , the tens do that tight focus on a small stage , and together they're deadly . A little pricey , but I smile every time I pick one up . I'm a believer . The two cab approach works best for me .
I usually play mid sized rooms in Halifax . My stage sound does the room , generally only vocals and horns are into the PA , so I gotta fill the room without getting too loud . If we find a good stage mix , we figure the room sound is good . Together they easily cover outdoor big stages too . They really do the job . Something I've noticed with other cabs is that after a certain volume they are not so articulate , so you turn up more to hear yourself better . With the Bergs I can hear what I'm doing better and probably am playing at a lower volume . They have punch , and focus . They do loud , and they sound gorgeous at a lower volume .
So I'm hauling stuff in and out and sticking it in the car . I'm just a blue collar musician . Playing bars . But I appreciate something that's beautifully designed and works . The Bergs have certainly upped my game .
I was initially using an older GenzBenz head with them . Nice Class D , 900 watts . I was so impressed with the cabs I eventually bought a Bergantino head . And yes , it's a gorgeous head . Once again , I'm a believer ...
And I like how Jim Bergantino is active on amp forums . It's not a big corporation , but they seem to be doing quite well . He seems responsive to his clientele . And it seems that just about everyone that tries his gear falls in love with it .
Guilty
What cabs are you using slinkp ,what kind of rooms are you playing , and what amps are you using ? There's been a bunch of other boutique cab makers that seem to be hitting their stride too . AudioKenesis , Barefaced , Genzler , Aguilar . All seem to be putting out exceptional product . And Mesa , GK , MarkBass , Ampeg will all do too .
It's funny , I bought my first Berg , fell in love , and then decided on some other ones to suit my needs a little better .
Even recently bought a Bergantino touque for Herself !
I tried one , then bought the farm ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #594 on: September 10, 2020, 10:17:39 AM »
Morrow - at one point pre-COVID I was thinking about a bigger cab rig, and that's when I was eyeing the Bergantinos. I think they used to make a sealed 215 and I was really wanting one of those for a minute. But realistically I gig so rarely and storage space is tight here in Brooklyn, and so I will probably stick with what I have for a good long while.

I've been using this setup for over a decade now: a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 into a mismatched pair of older Euphonic Audio cabs - a CXL110 on top of a CXL112. It's pretty portable. While there are lighter cabs around now, but the low end on these EA cabs is amazing - super smooth and tight, no boomy notes and no dead notes. The 110 on its own is pretty quiet and the 112 on its own is maybe enough for a band setting, but when I stack them, the combination is great for me.  I've played outdoor back yard parties with this rig without any PA reinforcement for the bass, so I was providing low end for the whole band - and felt like I had plenty of volume and low end to spare.

Occasionally (pre-pandemic) my band would play in bars, usually with PA, and in those situations I'll find out what backline the club has and if it's something I know is not terrible, I would often just show up with my head (to use as a preamp) and my bass.

I need a better rig photo but here:

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 10, 2020, 10:34:02 AM »
That's a serious little rig !  EA cabs are legend . The guy that designed the Shuttle amps still services them . I just sent him a Streamliner to check out . Flat rate of $85 + shipping and a 48 hour turnaround . Unless someone who was not qualified has been in your amp ...
Then it might be more for him to fix up previous work .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #596 on: September 10, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »
I see similarities in our preferences.  I have a G-B Shuttle 6.2 and normally play it through a single Shuttle T12. I also have a Shuttle T2x10, and although it sounds great to use both together, for most of my gigs (thinking back to last year when I was actually playing gigs) using both cabs was like killing a fly with an elephant gun. I just didn't need the second cab.

In a fit of ambition, a year ago I picked up a G-B NEOX 2x12, which sounds fantastic. I am grateful that it comes with handles and rollers, which makes it a lot easier to move around at 55 lbs., but it's still no lightweight. It's also overkill for my typical gigs, so it will probably stay in the basement until someone wants me to play a large venue or louder outdoor show.

Here's the Shuttle 6.2 on the NEOX...and yes, the rat fur on the side has been torn up a bit, but that saved me a lot of $$ when I bought the cabinet...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #597 on: September 10, 2020, 09:16:26 PM »
I heard great things about those GB cabs but have never seen or heard one in person!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #598 on: September 11, 2020, 07:38:59 AM »
Here's my Frankencombo. It began life as an Acoustic B200. The amp eventually went up in smoke, so I pulled the chassis, bought a used GB 900 and slid it in between two pieces of 1/2'' etha foam. Perfect fit! And it's easy to remove if I want. I had an old Pelican case at work that is a perfect fit for the head. It's a cool little amp, but very lacking in high end. I swapped out the stock speaker for an EVM 15L, and I still have to dime the treble, even with a Tech 21 VT Bass DI in front of it. I need to experiment with different tubes some day. The previous owner put these in there:

V1 = NOS Jan Phillips 5751
V2 = JJ ECC83
V3 = Tungsol 12AX7

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 11, 2020, 08:29:47 AM »
There's an epic thread on Talkbass about tube rolling Liners .
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/genz-benz-streamliner-tube-rolling.796088/#post-11294670
Never noticed any lack of treble but I usually aim for an old school thump .