Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 222436 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #480 on: May 13, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
Mark nicked Geddy's precision...!  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #481 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:25 PM »
Is that a whizzer cone on that EV driver?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:54:05 PM by slinkp »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #482 on: May 14, 2015, 06:22:35 AM »
If you are talking to me then yes that's a whizzer, but the driver is an EV.  Makes going with just a single 1x15 rig that much more workable.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #483 on: May 14, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
Yeah, I meant EV, sorry :)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

drummer5359

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 27, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »
I recently picked up a 2006 made in USA Ampeg SVT Classic head, I've paired it with my SVT 212 AV. It has some serious oomph. And yes, it takes some serious oomph to move. Honestly it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I've already ordered the black replacement grill for the 212.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd.
But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 29, 2015, 05:56:37 AM »
The griping about weight of tube amps is severely overblown, thanks largely to the efforts of paid shills for the ultralight amp companies. There are folks who have legit reasons to not want to be hauling around 90 lb heads and 150lb cabs, but seriously, I've never seen a single complaint about the weight of a Marshall 4x12 or two.

I'd keep the blue grille cloth for the AV cab. Black shows up much more road wear and dirt and the blue just plain looks classier. The SVT CL is an odd beastie among tube bass amps, sounding almost nothing like its ancestral namesake, but a nice tone in its own right. They have much less useful midrange and are more "traditionally toned" except in the lowest of the low end.  It ought to get along with that Rick's snarl just fine.

Just pray that the protection relays in yours keep a good temperament. Once they go wonky, the only cure is to find some mega-output tubes that idle at currents too low to trip them. The old Ei KT90 used to be perfect for that, but they're extinct now and have been for over a decade.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #486 on: May 29, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »
I'd keep the blue grille cloth for the AV cab. Black shows up much more road wear and dirt and the blue just plain looks classier. The SVT CL is an odd beastie among tube bass amps, sounding almost nothing like its ancestral namesake, but a nice tone in its own right. They have much less useful midrange and are more "traditionally toned" except in the lowest of the low end.  It ought to get along with that Rick's snarl just fine.

I have to agree with this. I would put vintage cloth on the head. The CL preamp is a completely different animal than the original. It IS a little more "traditional" (in line with modern amps) sounding, but has plenty of the classic tone. And yes, WAY less of that killer midrange.

I built probably the best possible flight case for my '74. Designed for ease of use and light weight.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152815626451296.1073741827.133281256295&type=3

drummer5359

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 02, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Hi guys. I'm not replacing the grill cloth itself, Ampeg offers replacement panels with the black cloth for these speakers so that you can switch them as you want. I'll hang onto the silver/blue panels in case I buy one of the V4B reissues down the road.

So far I'm liking the sound, I'm really looking forward to hearing it with two 212 cabinets as well as through the 810E that I have on order.

drummer5359

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 17, 2015, 04:05:54 AM »
Here is a photo of my Ampeg SVT Classic/SVT 212 AV rig in the midst of changing the grill. It gives you a chance to see the drivers.

And here it is with the black grill.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
^^^^^

Nice - I've got the grey/blue grille SVT212-AV, which is a better match with our 70s vibe tribute bands.  They're a great little cab, aren't they?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

drummer5359

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:15 PM »
They really are, I have a second one on order as well as an 810E.  :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #491 on: June 18, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »
Just picked up a new addition to the arsenal. I had been looking for a Fender PA 135 for quite a while. The speakers came along with the amp. Not sure if am going to use those. as they're probably worthless for bass. But still a nice set altogether.

I plan on having the amp modified to 4 different stages of overdrive. 1 clean. 2 sweet drive, 3 overdrive, 4 are you nuts. And then choose with a footswitch.
Should be fun.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 18, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »
Welcome to the world of PA amps, bud!  I love mine (Garnet Rebel PA Reverb; Garnet Sessionman Vocal System; Traynor YBA-1).  I've seen some nice vinatge all tube Marshall and Orange ones in shops but the price is always stupid and they are huuuuuuge.  What I like about the Fender is the tone controls are on the channels vs the master; more versatile.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #493 on: June 19, 2015, 07:41:14 AM »
What I like about the Fender is the tone controls are on the channels vs the master; more versatile.
Yes that is certainly an advantage.
I've been experimenting with a Lehle amp switcher in order to blend and mix the effects of the  EH POG2. The POG tends to be a bit too loud compared to the clean signal (which is not the same as the dry/wet ratio). So it helps if you can send the POG signal to a separate amp or channel. The Ampeg V4B has two channels too. But the tone controls are on the master. The Fender PA 135 is a bit louder. Which gives me a bit more headroom.
Can't wait to hear it in the rehearsal room with the band.

What I find a little awkward are the speaker cabs that came with the amp. They are 10,7 Ohms each. The amp says it needs a load of 8 ohms on each output (it has two).
Did this set up really survive an impedance mismatch from 1979 until now?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:49:32 AM by Basvarken »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 19, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »
2.3 ohms up ain't no thang.