Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 223442 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #465 on: January 04, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »
They are D210XLT cabs.
Very clever design with high efficiency.
When I first saw/heard a guy using one of those I couldn't believe it was only 2 x 10. I thought he was using a sub hidden somewhere.  ;)

I had one in my office for a flight case we were making a few years ago. I thought it was an interesting design, so I took a bunch of measurements, etc. in case I ever decided to build one. I'm kinda more into 15s nowadays though...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
Rob, is that the Benz wagon hiding in the garage?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #467 on: January 05, 2015, 11:11:46 AM »
No, it's the 230CE, a coupé.
The wagon had to leave last autumn. Back to Ze Heimat.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2015, 12:57:41 PM »
I had one in my office for a flight case we were making a few years ago. I thought it was an interesting design, so I took a bunch of measurements, etc. in case I ever decided to build one. I'm kinda more into 15s nowadays though...

I like Eden gear ... I used to own a 210XLT and I had a couple of their WT heads. It is indeed a very loud and very bassy 2x10.  It was my only cab for a while there. My only problem with it, and the reason that I eventually sold it, is that it has a noticeable bump around G on the low E string and then drops off like a rock below that. I couldn't stand the huge contrast in volume between E and G, or even F and G.  It eventually bothered me too much to keep using it.

They later came out with the XST cab which supposedly has response down to low E and beyond, but I haven't had my hands on one.  David whatsisname's new company DNA has a cab that on paper seems similar to the XST.  I would have given the XST or the DNA a try if they had existed last time I went looking for cabs; instead I ended up with a couple EA cabs which have made me very happy for several years now.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #469 on: January 05, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »

Bass reflex then? I hate how manufacturers never (rarely) disclose the cab type anymore.... they say something about a horn but I assume that's in reference to the tweeter, though it is not clear on the Eden website. [edit] given Slinkp's comments re falling off a cliff below low G, I am gonna assume bass reflex.

Anyway, Rob, they look much nicer with that grille cloth mod vs the original metal grate.  Like amazing difference really.

... which reminds me, I was trying to sell my DIY 8x10 and realised nobody was gonna buy it without a grille so I did this:

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #470 on: January 05, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
Not sure if it's really bass reflex. There is no diagonal plate in there.
It more like two bass ports.
D210XLT is not the same as 210XLT.
The D is for Deep. They are deeper and have two ports.
Whereas the XST has only one port.
I haven't got any issues with extreme voicing where tones drop off or get exaggerated too much...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:09:26 AM by Basvarken »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
Sorry, I forgot there was a one-port version.  I had the D210XLT, the version with vents both above and below the speakers.   I've never heard a non-D XLT.  I would certainly be interested to try that other Eden cabs to see how they're tuned differently, if I ever get a chance.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 06, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
Not sure if it's really bass reflex. There is no diagonal plate in there.
It more like two bass ports.

Yeah, bass reflex requires no diagonal plate; "ported" = bass reflex.... though the presence of a port does not mean it is "ported" (could be a transmission line, band pass etc, which have ports, but more behind them), just to make things confusing.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 06, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »
The friend that made them for me used black epoxy.

Great job!  Given the shortage of the old style plates and the ridiculous prices they command on eBay, your friend could make a tidy income selling his epoxy plates.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #474 on: January 07, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »
Yeah, bass reflex requires no diagonal plate; "ported" = bass reflex.... though the presence of a port does not mean it is "ported" (could be a transmission line, band pass etc, which have ports, but more behind them), just to make things confusing.

If it were bandpass, you wouldn't see any drivers :)  Has anybody used a bandpass design for bass cabs? I have a hard time imagining it would be anything other than awful :)

And, has anybody manufactured transmission line bass cabs other than EA?

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 07, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »
The Eden XLT series (as all of their cabs) were simple tuned bass reflex cabinets. IIRC, the "D" was just naming thing for the David series, so named to take on SWR's 80's dominance with the Goliath cabinets and named after David Nordschow, Eden's owner/founder. I spoke with him. He's a very nice guy. I can attest to the massive rolloff below G and also that the XST series, which came out much later, did improve massively in lows and perform as advertised. Eden XLT cabs had an absolute TON of low mids and upper bass, which fooled quite a few people for a very long time. They also had the budget Nemesis line, which featured ultra-light cabs and 200 watt combos and were made overseas, when at that time, Eden amps were all made in the US. I have a Nemesis 8x10. The horn sounds terrible, but the rest of the cab is awesome.

They also cheated on the specs sheet for years and used a C-weighted signal (Peavey calls it "program power") to derive frequency response curves for the cabs so that folks wouldn't notice the 10-12 dB slope at 50 Hz with normal broadband signal.  Anyone else remember the massive gear giveaways in Bass Player magazine where it was always some megabuck boutique coffee table bass paired with an Eden rig? Eden was VERY smart in doing that. They were the undisputed kings of new bass amps for many years. Hell, even I have an Eden, but it doesn't really count because it's all tube and was made by Koch Electronics  :-X  ...but I would take an old s/s Eden ANY day (along with a host of other solid state bass amps.)

Mark, I second that. Old Ampeg plates are milled aluminum and pretty heavy. I'll bet they were sourced straight from Alcoa, which is about 60 miles from the Jefferson City Ampeg factory. Epoxy is good modern substitute.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 07, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »
If it were bandpass, you wouldn't see any drivers :)  Has anybody used a bandpass design for bass cabs? I have a hard time imagining it would be anything other than awful :)

Yes - I don't think it likely or a good idea at all, I mentioned it just because it was the first example of a cab with a port that isn't reflex that came to mind.

And, has anybody manufactured transmission line bass cabs other than EA?

Yeah; me.   :-*

Here's my 1x12 prototype (formerly a 2x12 that I cut in half; wouldn't fit into me bandmate's Civic; about the size of a guitar 4x12).  Works great with any typical guitar speaker (resonance around 65-85Hz; it's tunable to some degree).  I like Jensen/Marsland type 12s in it for guitar and JBL/EV for bass. Useful response down to 40Hz at least (didn't measure - just hit open E on a my EB3  :P :P); never tried a fiver (but theoretically it should do well enough down to 25-35 Hz depending on driver resonance). On the far left:

...And my TL studio monitors (white; natural is the original prototype built for my wife to replace giant 15" Technics 3 ways, and the red ones went to my brother for his home theater paid off a debt to him with that and a Sony sub someone gave me):

Designed for high SAF (Spousal Approval Factor) and small to medium rooms (the old Technics were no good up against a wall or with a too near listening position - our old living room was bigger).  Made to be hung on (or placed very close to) a wall so it takes the placement game out of the equation and is a significant part of working well in small rooms.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:44:32 AM by Granny Gremlin »

fuzzonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 12, 2015, 05:05:11 AM »
Hello y'all!
Long time no post, so I'll just get to the point and show you my rig(s).
It's a tri-amp setup, I use them all at once.
Right: Clean (well, most of the time)
Middle: Dirt 1
Left: Dirt 2 (plus modulation, delay, looper)
Cheers!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 12, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »
Recent gig rig pics -

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 13, 2015, 08:48:23 AM »
I'm playing thru this (the Garnet Sessionman and the Musicman 115RH with EV SP15C speaker; the cab in between is a 2x6+2xTweeter mid/hi fill cab I built to match; use it to turn this rig into a small fullrange PA).