Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 222523 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #420 on: October 30, 2014, 08:32:38 AM »
I have to sing the praises of my "little shorty" rig. This thing sounds UNBELIEVABLE, especially with my Gibsons. Major mids, and no shortage of lows. I've even used it as a keyboard amp, and it's never farted out, even with major analog thickness. I'm actually thinking of looking for a matching 1x15 extension cab.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #421 on: October 30, 2014, 08:40:35 AM »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 30, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
That just OOOZES class!

Thanks Al.  When I ordered the cabs, Mesa had a special on for the $200 covering upgrade.  The HOG guys gave it to me for practically nothing.  So I figured what the heck!  I love the look.  I might have the local amp guru make a matching cab for the head.  That would be cool, I think.   8)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #423 on: October 30, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »
The tan color is really unusual, but a very clean look.  Having a matching wood case for the Mesa head would really put a finishing touch on it.

Actually, I suspect you could make the wood case easily, but it's a matter of where you want to put your time.  I'd think a case that looks like the old Bassman-50 heads would be cool.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #424 on: October 30, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »
I have to sing the praises of my "little shorty" rig. This thing sounds UNBELIEVABLE, especially with my Gibsons. Major mids, and no shortage of lows. I've even used it as a keyboard amp, and it's never farted out, even with major analog thickness. I'm actually thinking of looking for a matching 1x15 extension cab.

I've been pretty "m'eh" on the few Acoustic heads I tried (never used the cabs - usually another band's rig at the gig (punk gearshare styles) or at a rehearsal space.  I always suspected the cheesey cabs were the problem but without the luxury of being able to test it out better I wasn't sure.

Anyway, any idea what speaker they use in that thing.  Also how is the high end?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 30, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
Thanks Al.  When I ordered the cabs, Mesa had a special on for the $200 covering upgrade.  The HOG guys gave it to me for practically nothing.  So I figured what the heck!  I love the look.  I might have the local amp guru make a matching cab for the head.  That would be cool, I think.   8)

Those look great with the covering upgrade.

The simple solution for the head would be to buy or build a wood rack case and have it covered in matching fabric.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 30, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
I can build it but I have ten other projects ahead of it!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »

Just ten!?  Things slowing down?  ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 30, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »

Like the Billy Bo?  ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 31, 2014, 05:14:46 AM »
Like the Billy Bo?  ;)

Ouch, you are so right!  And 4 other bodies, and a spray booth, and shop remodeling and......................

I got sidetracked while building my spray booth, the wife decided she wants the garage drywalled and finished.  So.................

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 31, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »
The tan color is really unusual, but a very clean look.  Having a matching wood case for the Mesa head would really put a finishing touch on it.

Actually, I suspect you could make the wood case easily, but it's a matter of where you want to put your time.  I'd think a case that looks like the old Bassman-50 heads would be cool.

That is a cool look for sure.  In fact, having the controls angled up slightly would be a nice touch.  I'll have to give it some thought.......

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #431 on: October 31, 2014, 08:17:25 AM »
A little rack with ivory tolex would be super cool! Color matching might be tricky though. These guys have all kinds of fun stuff -

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-G448

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #432 on: October 31, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
I've been pretty "m'eh" on the few Acoustic heads I tried (never used the cabs - usually another band's rig at the gig (punk gearshare styles) or at a rehearsal space.  I always suspected the cheesey cabs were the problem but without the luxury of being able to test it out better I wasn't sure.

Anyway, any idea what speaker they use in that thing.  Also how is the high end?

I have no idea what the speaker is. The highs are fine, just a little hard to set because the amp is so low to the ground. You'll think there's not enough, but if you crouch down, or stand in front of an elevated stage, it's there. I really didn't want to like this thing, but I needed something small for a gig in Ohio (Put In Bay) a couple of summers ago. Went to GC and tried a few - GK, Mark, Ampeg mini SVT. The Ampeg was real close, but I could tell it was on the edge of pain. The sales guy was an older dude and "got" what I was into, and insisted I had to try the Acoustic. I was surprised by the tone, and it was the cheapest of the bunch! I get a total "Moving Pictures" tone, but with more lows. Mr. Lee was using solid state amps through 15s at that time...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #433 on: October 31, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
Thanks... maybe I can sleuth it out on google. Been looking for a nice balanced 15" speaker model with decent highs in case my beloved EV goes (no longer made, can be reconed but not with proper kits for this model so may sound a bit different afterwards).  The cone is getting a bit fatigued (on the thinner side for a 15 - part of why I like them). Haven't seen one of these EVs for sale in about 5 years so an alt model to look at would be good.

... oh, the B200 has a horn.  Dammit; probably won't do as a replacement for me.  When I originally looked at the pics I thought that was dual ports.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 01, 2014, 03:15:06 AM »
Thanks... maybe I can sleuth it out on google. Been looking for a nice balanced 15" speaker model with decent highs in case my beloved EV goes (no longer made, can be reconed but not with proper kits for this model so may sound a bit different afterwards).  The cone is getting a bit fatigued (on the thinner side for a 15 - part of why I like them). Haven't seen one of these EVs for sale in about 5 years so an alt model to look at would be good.

... oh, the B200 has a horn.  Dammit; probably won't do as a replacement for me.  When I originally looked at the pics I thought that was dual ports.

I recently reconed an VM15L of mine, and i can strongly recommend the kit. Even more recently i got a stock EVM15L, and when comparing them they have the same feeling, I must admit. I have tried both in same enclosures (I know, the human ear remembers etc. but who´s got a bunch of similar 115 cabs) I do notice the new sounds ´fresher´ , maybe
it´s even more punchy and less rounded than the stock - but then again who knows what the stock one sounded like when new! I love them both, EVM is my all time favourite 15 speaker for bass. Use it in both Musicman 115RH and a portaflex-like cab.