Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 222438 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #360 on: October 03, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »
 I used that same head the other day at jam (belonged to the rehearsal space - I'm in between spaces ATM and it blows, but anyway).  I liked it a lot.  Great range and versatility.  The 4x10 (forget the brand, but not Markbass) it was plugged into was not a good match though (for my tastes).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #361 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »

AMP SALAD FOR DINNER!

From top to bottom: Greek salad from the food truck, Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0,  Euphonic Audio CXL-110, Euphonic Audio CXL-112L.
Pick gives a sense of the tiny scale.

I know I've posted this rig before, but.... as a guy who doesn't get to gig much... every time I do play out, I say god DAMN I love this little rig.
Saturday's gig was an outdoor party with only vocals in the PA. So we weren't super-loud - no mics on the drums - but I did have two guitarists to compete with, and that Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 is no slouch.  I played loud to get some low end out into the audience area, and when I walked around on my long cable I was amazed how much low end I could project 25' out.  I kept having to turn down because I was overbalancing the rest of the band. 

Forget about volume, the tone of this thing makes me so happy. I'm mostly playing my Gibson LPB1 lately, and it goes nicely with this amp.  I push the gain on the Genz-Benz pretty high to get a little overdrive and compress the dynamic range a bit.  I turn the tweeters down pretty far (although I seem to like them not quite all the way off, and I leave the one on the 110 cab up a little higher because it sounds a little sweeter.)  I leave all the tone-shaping switches off and don't go nuts with the EQ; a slight midrange cut because both the bass and the cabs deliver tons of mids and at high volume it starts to overwhelm me a bit, not to mention the two guitars have that area pretty filled out already.

I am sure the head will die someday long before all you guys' vintage tube heads do...  and it won't be repairable... but for now, I love my tone and my back is happy.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #362 on: October 04, 2013, 05:52:56 AM »
I love my Shuttle 6.0 for the same reasons.  And as much as I respect the various commentators here, I'll wait and see whether I ever have a problem with that head.  I'm 63 and don't plan to play when I'm 100, so I don't need 40 years out of that head.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 05, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »
I'm not dogging switching amps. I just want to make sure that the facts are out there. As someone who's had to correct the fallacy of six-month lives for tubes too many times, it's only fair for me to point out that most tubes in amps will long outlive the lightweight s/s stuff. Remember how the Markbass LM was the darling of TB (thanks to shills) when it came out and about a year later, half of them were no longer working? I realize that those were rushed to market and had a bunch of QC issues, but that highlights the unique service problem that a switching amp has: if anything major fails in it, it won't be a matter of replacing parts; it'll be a boat anchor (for a small boat.) If I needed a lightweight head, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Shuttle. I don't think I'd put a salad on top of it though. Warm salad- yechhh.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #364 on: October 07, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
Well, this is everything. The Ampeg 2x15 is a new addition. I'm going to try to sell the 4x10 in the lower left.

From left - Acoustic B200 combo on self-built 4x10 "half SVT" cab, 1970-ish Ampeg BT-140 2x15, 1974 SVT head on late 70s 8x10 cab, 1996 SVT III Pro on self-built 2x10/1x15 cab.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 07, 2013, 10:55:33 AM »
My last gigging rig was a Shuttle 9.0 driving a Hartke Hydrive 410.  I loved the light weight of both.  We had everything in road cases so it was always racked.  Survived many gigs.  We had a full PA, light show, etc. so it was set up and packed up many times.  We parked the 14 foot Magnum trailer in a garage storage facility so the amp spent many weeks in the extreme Texas climate and never failed to deliver.  The guy who replaced me in the band was so impressed with the rig he purchased it from me.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #366 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
Well, this is everything.

:o  Are you sure;D

I would love to have your rig(s) ... if it wasn't larger than my apartment.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #367 on: October 09, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »
After 35+ years of playing, stuff can accumulate.  ;D Most of it I've had for 12-20 years.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »
My latest rig.  Mesa Prodigy amp and two Mesa 15 powerhouse cabs.  Simple, powerful and does a great job for me!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #369 on: October 31, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »
That's killer! Mesa always made a nice 15'' cab. I used to have one of the old Road Ready 1x15 with the flight case shell and snap on lid.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 01, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »
Good stuff all the way around.  I love the sound of this rig, it's what I've been working toward for the last year or so.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »
My latest addition to the jam room:

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 02, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »
My latest addition to the jam room:

Looks like yellow thunder!   

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 12, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
This is my 80's bass rig.  I replaced the 410 aluminum drivers with Neo's to lighten up the cab when I was gigging. 

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:12 AM »
My latest rig.  Mesa Prodigy amp and two Mesa 15 powerhouse cabs.  Simple, powerful and does a great job for me!

That is a great looking rig...
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.