Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 222447 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »
Bret... OOOYYY!!! I resemble that remark...!!!  ;D

Mark... who's this Hugh you're humpin'...?  :o

... and Hornisse, I'm 50 and lookin' forward to finding a regular gig...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »
Our singers are 25 and 30

I turned 48 this month, and our singers and dancers range from 16 to 25.  Our guitarist is 58.

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »

It's all I can do to stay away from Bassnw, barely 20min from my house. Evan is a great guy, he really knows basses esp. Thunderbirds, and happily I've had the chance to chat with Steve a few times too, first class guy all the way!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hornisse

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2009, 04:21:07 PM »
There is a Turner Electroline on Ebay with no reserve.  It is up to $500 with a lot of time yet.  Uwe should get one as these were supposedly the basses Turner was designing for Gibson when he went to work for them in the late 1980's!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
Thanks guys!

I love that amp also my good Doctor. It is the amp I like to use whenever I'm at a shop playing something new; it has such a great sound and can be as versatile as you need. One day I'll have to actually own one.
The Gretsch is nice as well. ;)

I agree, it's a great little amp.  The first time I heard this and the Pulse, I just cringed.  I had to have a Mesa and this one fit my needs the best.  The tube pre-amp just makes the tone so smooth and rich sounding.  Some day, I'll get a pulse too, just for fun!  I started with the Scout amp and added the 15" cab a little later.  With both of them running, I can keep up with the typical R&R band and sound system.

I also quit my band recently because hauling stuff around at 59 just plain sucks all the fun out of it.  Not to mention a couple members were goof offs and pains in the tush.  Not really a good time anymore.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Hornisse

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »
I'd played with the same drummer for nearly 7 years.  He left to join another band that works more and I can't fault him for that.  He is a great drummer.  The guy we got to replace him just did not do it for me.  I was voting for another guy after auditions but was outvoted by the leader.  He said the new guy had more "personality" which doesn't always equate to great time keeping ability!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
I've left bands for the same reason. I don't think others (even other band guys) realize just how much the drummer matters in a band. Makes all the difference in the world to me as a bass player and to the audience as well, even if they don't know it.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2009, 07:10:01 AM »
I don't think others (even other band guys) realize just how much the drummer matters in a band. Makes all the difference in the world to me as a bass player and to the audience as well, even if they don't know it.

You got that right! Even when they do realize it, they don't realize it to the extent that the bass player does. I jam with a few different groups of musicians and there is one drummer that I get together with now and then, who is every bass players dream. He leads , he follows, he has his own seperate line of communication going with every musician at the same time, and whenever there is a hole in anything he fixes it instantly. Everyone knows he is really good , but I know it best  ;).
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2009, 11:48:58 AM »
Quit a great guitarist, and I mean REALLY good (named Rick Kaczyk (Polish name - Kashik - sbelin?); he was unemployed; 1st thing he did when he got up was turn on his amp; often practiced for 10 hours straight... but he just dissapeared off the face, don't know how, maybe I do...) in '83, as the drummer was putting all his spare cash "up his nose"... when he was "straight", he was great...
I tried to explain this to the guitarist but all I got was, "I've known him since school, man...". Anyway, 2 weeks later there was an ad in the Melody Maker looking for a bass player and a drummer... whatever...

I've never played with a better or more dedicated musician... it was this that ended my attempts to go pro and I went back to full-time employment...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2009, 05:23:35 AM »
Jeez George dont get me started on drummers...... :sad:
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2009, 08:08:18 AM »
More drummers should be like Victor DeLorenzo. No kick. No drum stool either.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2009, 10:58:09 AM »
I'd played with the same drummer for nearly 7 years.  He left to join another band that works more and I can't fault him for that.  He is a great drummer.  The guy we got to replace him just did not do it for me.  I was voting for another guy after auditions but was outvoted by the leader.  He said the new guy had more "personality" which doesn't always equate to great time keeping ability!

Personality????  Since when did a drummer need that?  I was thrilled when ours could mount his drum stool without falling off the back of the stage!  ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
More drummers should be like Victor DeLorenzo. No kick. No drum stool either.

I agree.  I did a couple gigs once with a solo guitarist/sinner who invited a friend for some drumming back up.  The guy showed up with a snare, stool and highhat.  And he only used brushes, not sticks.  He sounded fantastic!  I'm looking for something like that again.  

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »
I was thrilled when ours could mount his drum stool

I've seen drummers so out of it that they've tried that too.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2009, 03:51:43 PM »
I've seen drummers so out of it that they've tried that too.

:mrgreen: