Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

Let's see your rig!

<< < (119/127) > >>

Granny Gremlin:
Solid!

morrow:
My first bass head , many years ago was a Marshall . When GK started to appear I picked up an RB400 , and that little thing was bulletproof .
These days I have a modular rig . Two Bergantino lightweight cabs , a HDN112 and 210 . I can use them individually or bring 'em both if things might require extra volume . And I have two main heads ( and some others tucked away) . A GenzBenz Streamliner ( just sent off to get a checkup) and a Bergantino Forte . The Liner has a three tube pre and can do that warm dark thing , the Berg is transparent and hifi clean . And despite being very different I love em both . Lightweight cabs and two Class D powerhouses . Mix and match .

slinkp:
I've long been curious about Bergantino cabs, how do you like them Morrow?

morrow:
My first Bergantino was a NV115 . It was the best sounding 15 I had ever heard . Blew me away , and then I started looking into the other Bergs . I decided to change course and go modular , and picked up a HDN 112 and 210 , sold the 15 . I can do many gigs with a single cab , and I bounce between them . The 12 does give a little more depth , the tens do that tight focus on a small stage , and together they're deadly . A little pricey , but I smile every time I pick one up . I'm a believer . The two cab approach works best for me .
I usually play mid sized rooms in Halifax . My stage sound does the room , generally only vocals and horns are into the PA , so I gotta fill the room without getting too loud . If we find a good stage mix , we figure the room sound is good . Together they easily cover outdoor big stages too . They really do the job . Something I've noticed with other cabs is that after a certain volume they are not so articulate , so you turn up more to hear yourself better . With the Bergs I can hear what I'm doing better and probably am playing at a lower volume . They have punch , and focus . They do loud , and they sound gorgeous at a lower volume .
So I'm hauling stuff in and out and sticking it in the car . I'm just a blue collar musician . Playing bars . But I appreciate something that's beautifully designed and works . The Bergs have certainly upped my game .
I was initially using an older GenzBenz head with them . Nice Class D , 900 watts . I was so impressed with the cabs I eventually bought a Bergantino head . And yes , it's a gorgeous head . Once again , I'm a believer ...
And I like how Jim Bergantino is active on amp forums . It's not a big corporation , but they seem to be doing quite well . He seems responsive to his clientele . And it seems that just about everyone that tries his gear falls in love with it .
Guilty
What cabs are you using slinkp ,what kind of rooms are you playing , and what amps are you using ? There's been a bunch of other boutique cab makers that seem to be hitting their stride too . AudioKenesis , Barefaced , Genzler , Aguilar . All seem to be putting out exceptional product . And Mesa , GK , MarkBass , Ampeg will all do too .
It's funny , I bought my first Berg , fell in love , and then decided on some other ones to suit my needs a little better .
Even recently bought a Bergantino touque for Herself !
I tried one , then bought the farm ...

slinkp:
Morrow - at one point pre-COVID I was thinking about a bigger cab rig, and that's when I was eyeing the Bergantinos. I think they used to make a sealed 215 and I was really wanting one of those for a minute. But realistically I gig so rarely and storage space is tight here in Brooklyn, and so I will probably stick with what I have for a good long while.

I've been using this setup for over a decade now: a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 into a mismatched pair of older Euphonic Audio cabs - a CXL110 on top of a CXL112. It's pretty portable. While there are lighter cabs around now, but the low end on these EA cabs is amazing - super smooth and tight, no boomy notes and no dead notes. The 110 on its own is pretty quiet and the 112 on its own is maybe enough for a band setting, but when I stack them, the combination is great for me.  I've played outdoor back yard parties with this rig without any PA reinforcement for the bass, so I was providing low end for the whole band - and felt like I had plenty of volume and low end to spare.

Occasionally (pre-pandemic) my band would play in bars, usually with PA, and in those situations I'll find out what backline the club has and if it's something I know is not terrible, I would often just show up with my head (to use as a preamp) and my bass.

I need a better rig photo but here:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version