Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 222392 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »
300 watts of all tube goodness:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 06:44:01 AM »
I love that Sunn !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 01:02:56 AM »
Wow, nice to see all these tubes.
Heres my old rig: Fender Studiobass 200W, Marshall 100W JMP superbass, Marshall 100W JCM 800 Superbass and a 4x12 JCM 400W cab, all tubeamps. Sold the Fender, sold the JCM and the cab. Now I'm left with the JMP and a JMP greenback 4x12 cab, it's all (more than) I need.

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 03:08:02 PM »
well, I've been holding off getting decent pics of my rig... because I was planning on ditching the head and going separate pre amp and power amp... but I've had no luck unloading my carvin head... so I'm going to walmart and buying a sharpie :P
 I'll post pics soon

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »
I'm travelling light these days.

I did set this up and use it once, though.  Not what I hoped for.  I may sell the Bass Buddy.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 05:12:00 AM »
Wow, nice to see all these tubes.
Heres my old rig: Fender Studiobass 200W, Marshall 100W JMP superbass, Marshall 100W JCM 800 Superbass and a 4x12 JCM 400W cab, all tubeamps. Sold the Fender, sold the JCM and the cab. Now I'm left with the JMP and a JMP greenback 4x12 cab, it's all (more than) I need.

A Studio Bass! I had one of those a couple of years back. Great concept, but poorly executed IMHO, as it was top heavy even with the EVM 15B. Would have been better as a short box 2x10. Sounded like a Hiwatt to my ears, with that big ultra-linear bark. Not my thing tone-wise, so I sold it and went back to my Ampegs.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 06:51:20 AM »
Fender Studio Bass IMO is the finest sounding Fender bass amp ever . They are very rare. I know one guy who has one and that's the only one I've ever played. I have only seen one other. As you mentioned, the big drawback is the weight, and it is a major drawback. Those suckers are freakin' heavy >:(

Rick

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 08:27:27 AM »
i loved it with it's 3 tube-equalizer, 100% tube technology, but yes it was f****n' heavy although it sounded great with the Marshall cab. My intention was to make it a head-cab stack, but then i found the JMP wich has been my dream for years.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »
i loved it with it's 3 tube-equalizer, 100% tube technology, but yes it was f****n' heavy although it sounded great with the Marshall cab. My intention was to make it a head-cab stack, but then i found the JMP wich has been my dream for years.

I'm a little bit suprised that a picture of that Studio Bass amp didn't draw more comments and drools from this crowd ??? Then again, there are so few around it's likely that few have ever seen or even heard of them.
Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »
Here's the one I had, with a MIJ Squier P-Bass.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 11:04:49 AM »
I played one once, but it was made into a head. Very nice sounding amp, although the one I played had some hiss.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »
I played one once, but it was made into a head. Very nice sounding amp, although the one I played had some hiss.

Interesting, one of the things that impressed me about the one that I played, is that it was dead silent. It was also incredibly clean, kind of like a Hiwatt but a bit more capable of getting dark and dirty if you wanted it. Very even tempered amp that felt strong at low or high volume. A lot of tube amps have a sweet spot, and that is usually at a higher volume. The Sudio Bass had a very large sweet spot. It had sort of a  solid state personality with a tube sound . I don't know if that makes a bit of sense to anyone , but it works for me ;)

My Seymour Duncan solid state is  a very similar sound and personality but it comes from the other direction. It's a solid state that gets very tube sounding.
Exactly the same.....only completely different ;D Glad I could clear that up  for everyone???
Rick

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
I was impressed by the one I played, although I just used it once when my amp was in repair. This one just needed some new parts here and there. Old and worn.

Blazer

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »
My home rig consists of a Japanese made Pearl "Sun Flower" amp which basically is a copy of a Fender twin reverb but with a solid state circuit. It's currently without it's second 12 inch speaker. Effects come from a Line6 POD and I plug whatever I want into that set up.

My Bass rig is a fender Rumblebass 2x10 solid state combo which sounds really good, my basses are either my Five string Custom Jan Knooren or my self built Fenderbird.

My stage rig consists of a London City Bulldog Tube head 100 watts RMS and a matching London city 4x12 cab, I basically use my Boss GT5 floor unit to go from clean to overdrive and leave the crazy sounds that that thing can produce alone. I also love my GT 5 because it has a noise surpresser and a built in tuner. My guitars usually are my red self built Explorer or my LTD Eclipse (as seen in the first picture)

This pictures shows my complete backline (although I still had a Marshall cab back then)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 06:16:27 PM »
It had sort of a  solid state personality with a tube sound . I don't know if that makes a bit of sense to anyone , but it works for me ;)

Makes perfect sense to me - that's why I sold the Studio Bass AND my Hiwatt DR103! To me, nothing sounds more like bass than old Ampegs.