Author Topic: Preliminary Fender NAMM News  (Read 7081 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Preliminary Fender NAMM News
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »
Paul at TDPRI quoted part of a Fender press release from Jan. 8. over at his front page. I'll requote the parts of interest to us:

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation announced "upgraded" American Standard Series Telecasters today.....Fender's Stratocaster, Precision Bass and Jazz Bass guitars are also receiving the series upgrades......And for the first time, Fender will be offering the traditional Precision BassĀ® in a five-string passive version, taking the classic platform to a new level.

So, looks like the American Series will become American Standard again.

Blazer

Re: Preliminary Fender NAMM News
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
Well you have to admit that with the "American" series Fender had shot themselves in the foot. Not because they were bad instruments but because it worked confusingly because they also have the "American Vintage" and the "American Deluxe" series. So naming their standard range "American" would have made retailers go "Errr, which part of their American series?"

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »
I agree about the confusion. Returning to the old name is a good move.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »
http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/004116.html Here's the press release from FMIC
Tony

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »
Thanks, Tony. That looks like an interesting site, I'll add their press release section to my RSS feeds.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:56:32 AM »
Photos here, including some basses: http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/004148.html

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »
Wish I could get excited about new Fenders, but I can't.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »
I hear you. Too many variations on the same themes. Not that I really expect them to come up with something new and daring. When they do have something different (e.g. the Roscoe Beck), most of their dealers usually won't order it.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 07:59:49 PM »
Same old basses with a new marketing campaign. I mean, what is left to do to them that hasn't been done?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »
Wish I could get excited about new Fenders, but I can't.

The curse of being the workhorse of the industry, I guess.  I played one of the MIA Zone Deluxe basses when they came out, and REALLY liked it.  Classic lines, well-balanced, and a sound that could step into Gibson territory pretty easily.  I still have it on my short list.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »
I am interested in seeing how they market things now that Best Buy is moving stuff for them.  I think on the FDP the Tele guys were talking about how you could not find one variant of the Telecasters at any GC, but Best Buy had plenty.  I suspect they are happy to not have all their eggs in one basket, but I am curious if they will put most of their white eggs in one and brown in the other.  It seems to me that GC moves the vintage series stuff, but really moves more Squire and Mexican Standards than regular American Standard stuff.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »
I had no idea that Best Buy was carrying Fenders. I knew they had the Maestro by Gibson guitars online.

No doubt GC sells way more Mexi Standards and Squiers than US models. The biggest unit sales have always been in the low end stuff.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 08:20:51 AM »
Best Buy hasn't gotten around to having them in every store, but they have opened a musical instrument boutique type thing in a lot of their bigger stores.  They intend over the next few years to become a PLAYA in the instrument retail world, in kind of the way they absorbed the Magnolia high-end electronics chain.  The belief is they are already so much bigger than all the existing chains, that they can fill a sales void in the way that they did in the CD retail market.  Or it could implode on them, which would not be a big deal to them in the long run.  But so far it seems to be working out pretty well, and they don't have a problem getting people who know instruments as far as sales and service and who appreciate the pay and benefits from Best Buy vs people like GC.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

felig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »
I actually think it is cool to see Best Buy move in that direction.  When I was much younger in Cincinnati, there was a family owned chain that sold appliances, music & video (i.e. LPs, cassettes, & audio equipment--including some of the best high end gear), toys, hardware--you name it.  Plus they carried Rickenbackers, Mutron stuff, PA gear.   Going even further back, there was a jewelry store that carried all guitar & amp lines & was for a while THE place to go if your were a working musician.  I go to GC to pick up on trade-ins &  maybe some blow-out sale items--but I'm always amazed at how hard the salesguys are trying to ram the lower end lines down your throat.

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »
I'm pretty stoked about the new Fender American Standard line because for the first time ever they're offering the AS Jazz left handed.