Author Topic: Thunderbirds by Mike Lull  (Read 19613 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbirds by Mike Lull
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Joe, according to Mark's earlier thread from November:

"Perhaps the most exciting part is Mike's attention the pick ups, first the new ones will have chrome plated stamped brass covers, made by the same supplier Gibson used for the original 1960's production!
The internal parts of the pickup will be just like the originals too, Mike paid great attention to the metals and plastics used and there will be both a bridge and neck version produced that will have 7k and 8k output, again just like the '64 prototype. The metal pickup rings are also being made."

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 09:52:01 AM »
How much are they? Is there a list price yet?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »

They haven't priced those parts yet guys............They know some of you want them. Roger, Mike's office manager regularly visits our site here, they know about the BaCHbird and that there's interest in these components.
Please be patient, it's something new for them. The focus is to get the prototypes to NAMM, they've promised to keep me informed about availabilty - at which point you should be able to order parts directly from them, give it 3-4 weeks okay?
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »
AW, MAN, THAT IS SO DARN COOL!!!!!! NEW 60's style PICKUP COVERS!!!!!!!! Must be the Second Coming????

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
 Mark I can't tell you how pleased and honored  I am that you are having one of my bridges installed on you bass !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

barend

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »
For the same reasons that people buy a Sadowsky or a Lull Fender copy. 

To some point you are right. But I think the jazz bass is a 'generally more accepted' model than the Thunderbird model. Somehow I associate the thunderbird more to Gibson than the jazz bass to Fender. I see the jazz bass more as a model bass than belonging to one brand name. I think people are more likely to buy a jazz bass copy than a thunderbird copy. Who of you prefers a Mike Lull Thunderbird to a Gibson Thunderbird?  I also know this sounds stupid.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:31:07 AM by barend »

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »
Actually I was wondering about the list price of the whole bass, not just the pickups.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 09:57:25 PM »

I don't yet Andrew, I have a pretty substantial *downpayment* on mine.
If I didn't say it earlier, I'm figuring on doing this once in my lifetime - I'm not a wealthy person.
By doing this I get the bass I want, and can somewhat afford - I'd never consider refinning a '60's 'Bird into metallic orange (sacrilige!) but a new custom one for me, yeah. Mike could never make lots of anything tho, his place is a small, high quality shop, he works with all clients famous or not (like me) and takes a lot of pride in that. I have no problem supporting his efforts, and I know all of us that love 'Birds will benifit from this just from the parts standpoint alone. 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 09:59:08 PM »
If he's going to debut it at NAMM next week, I would think he'll announce the pricing then too.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »
I think these basses look awesome! I have no idea what they will cost, but I know they won't be cheap. I've never had the chance to play a Lull bass before, but I've heard great things about them. I would love the chance to try one of these and dream that I could afford to pick one up someday. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the headstock, which would not stop me from buying the bass if I loved the bass. As far as who would buy these over a Gibson, who knows without trying one out? I would bet any amount of money that the QC put into the Lull's will far excede what passes for QC at Gibson these days. That would make it worth spending more $$ to me. A custom shop Thunderbird is way cooler than a custom shop Jazz or Precision IMO. But I am prejudice when it comes to that.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 05:04:02 PM »
I would KILL to buy a set of pickups!!! Or even just pickup covers!!!!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 11:32:41 PM »
I would KILL to buy a set of pickups!!! Or even just pickup covers!!!!

Baz,

You're much too pretty for prison! Just wait a couple weeks!
They really did take apart the pups from a '64 to do this, it's very faithful to the original.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:48:44 PM by TBird1958 »

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 03:07:19 AM »
I know, I'd for sure be on the bottom with Bubba!!! Yes, I will learn patience...patience... Yes Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. No but seriously, that sounds fantastic. Maybe I can build another 8 string bird???

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »

Joe and all!

As of 1/13/2009 they've officially annouced the bass!
I got an email from Roger saying that folks are contacting him for pick up covers................ ;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »
Hey All!

Here's my official email from Roger at Mike Lull's guitar works regarding the Lull Birds as of 1/14/2009.
You can email with them @  <guitarwk@mikelull.com>  but please keep in mind that they are leaving for NAMM and will be away.

"Mark, I have attached a promo photo for you and the guys at The Last Bass Outpost. Tell the guys that the pickups and covers will be available after the NAMM Show which starts this Thursday. The basses have a retail price of $4199 single pup and $4399 for two pups.  The pickups sound KILLER! I don't have a retail price on the pickups and covers yet, but should have that next week. The covers are not brass. They are nickel silver as were the original 60's pickups. We will sell them in chrome or leave them as they are like Gibson did. You saw the raw nickel silver covers while you were here. We are getting great response from our dealers and this is looking like it could be big.  Remember that the headstock isn't the same as Gibson, and these basses balance perfectly. There is no headstock dive at all. You can also sit down and play this bass very comfortably with out a hint of headstock dive. This bass played with a pick will kill whoever is in the first five rows. They will die with a smile on there face."

Here's the promo!

Here's the pups again.................they'll be along very soon!   ;D