Author Topic: MIM 60's J  (Read 4844 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
MIM 60's J
« on: February 10, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »
 Hey guys is this a good deal ? I  played one of these in store and it felt great. The edges look a little bunged up. I'm not so sure the new MIA J I bought is for me. Thoughts please.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280199763945&ih=018&category=64400&_trksid=p3285.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DOp1%26ps%3D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
Re: MIM 60's J
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
All the Mexican classic stuff I have played have been pretty good but all needed severe tweaking for playability.  I think that is a couple of hundo less than the ones in stores - I recall the jazz being around 650-700 depending on who had it or if they were blowing them out.  That looks nice.  My experience with them is plan on doing some time with the bridge and a screwdriver - maybe a fret file.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:17:44 PM »
I'm not a J guy in general but the pickups in the Mexi Classic J sure don't do it for me. Plus there's the playability issues eb2 mentioned. Depends on how much work and/or expense you're willing to go to.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:30:31 AM »
Well it's gone, just as well. I'm having a little buyers remorse with the MIA J I just bought. I have some SD hot for Jazz bass pickups  coming from ebay, maybe those will give it a sound I like. The neck reminds me of my Warmoth F bird, real stiff like your using a rail road tie for a neck. The bass just doesn't seem to resonate. I should have held out for a '62 RI. Maybe I should stick with Gibsons.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:07:16 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »
What don't you like about your MIA J's pickups? If they're lacking midrange, the SD Hot for J should help.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »
To me the MIA J pups don't have any sparkle or warmth. I am hopping increased mids and out put will give me what I'm looking for.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 08:36:14 AM »
I've got one of those MIM 60ies reissue Js and it is a fine instrument (workmanship is good) except that unscrewing the neck for trussrod adjustment is of course a pain in the arse, but that is what makes it a reissue.

I'm fine with the pups, not much midrange to them, but that is not what I expect from a J which in that respect is a bit like a Ric, ooomp and glistening presence, but no barking P bass mids. There is no lack of warmth, however, the bass always sounds pleasant and cuts through well.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 05:49:14 PM »
  Well I just ordered a '62 RI from musicians fiend. When I went bass shopping the other weekend it was on a Sunday after a gig, I pulled in the driveway at 5:30 AM Sunday morning ! I layed down for a few hours then up with the family. Went to the store about 1 pm dog tired but really wanting to buy a J. They had a white RI that I really liked, no sunburst which is what I wanted. Saw the New American Standard J in sunburst, played it alittle and bought it....................... bad move. Don't get me wrong it is a fine piece of work just not what I went in to buy. The '62 should be here by Fri, The MIA J is going up on ebay.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:01:42 PM »
The MIA J is going up on ebay.

Scott, can't you return it? Or maybe you got a smokin' deal and you'll make money by selling it on the 'bay?  :D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »
 I bought the bass at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY, I worked there back in the day, I still get unbelivable deals there, they are good friends I don't want to hassle them with a return though I'm sure I could. It's my bad I'll take my lumps.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 12:55:09 AM »
On the ole Pit there were some discussions about the MIM 50s P. Everybody loves it. Me too. If the 60s J is as good as the P, it's a good deal.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
I figured that was probably it, Scott. I hope you find a good buyer at a fair price and that you also find a Jazz that will work for you and your project.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »
 Thanks George, Fenders are still a bit of a mystery to me. I just read in BP mag. that JP used a '62, I thought it was a '64 so now I am really looking forward to the arrival of my '62 RI ! Looking like a Mon. or Tue. ETA.